Tower Help

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 15:02:03 EST 1996

> How do you determine the sq. ft. wind load of an
>antenna? I have a Cushcraft A3, and I'm thinking of adding a 40m kit to it
>when it goes up (probably this summer). I can't find anything in the
>specifications that defines the wind load.
>
>Is there some simple calculation for this? This this the aerodynamic flat
>plate equivalent?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Coleman, AA4LR

Hiya, Bill --

   There's a long answer and a short answer.  The long answer is to get Dr.
Dave Leeson's (W6QHS) book on yagi design and crank through cylindrical
multisection modulus, moment and other various calculations.  The short
answer is to get the manufacturer's catalog -- it'll be listed in the specs.
 If you want one publication that has all of the antennas, rotators plus
various other products complete specs, pick up a copy of the CQ Antenna
Buyer's Guide; it's a good reference for lots of specs.  Contact your local
dealer or call CQ direct for the latest copy.

   Regarding the Cushcraft 40M add-on kit, it's got negative gain compared to
a dipole; put up the dipole instead if possible.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

     "Up The Tower"    now appears in CQ Contest magazine