Tower Help

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 22:37:05 EST 1996

>Steve, Hi: I'd be interested what you would include as preventive
>maintenance for a crank-up tower, as well as any suggestions you might have.
>I've been following and enjoying your comments on the reflector. I have
>a 4-year old US Towers TX-455 55-footer (3 sections), which so far has
>given me good service.  I moved it to Va beach with a job change and
>reinstalled it in 1994, completely replacing the cable and fully maint-
>tenancing it then. I have a Sommer XP807 about 3 feet up on the mast
>which I turn with a Yaesu G-1000 rotor.  I've been doing the obvious -
>tightening bolts and nuts, greasing the cable and pulleys, and keeping
>the winch well-oiled and greased.  Appreciate your comments, and will
>look for you on the air. Vy 73, Don W4ZYTz

Hiya, Don --

   I can't see anything wrong with your preventive maintenance on your
crankup.  A couple of people have asked the same thing so I'll be researching
it further with the manufacturers.  I'm sure that it'll appear in my column
but I'll put it out on the reflector as soon as I've got something worth the
bandwidth.  BTW, the US Towers that I've installed have been impressive -
especially the motor drive versions.

Thanks for your input and 73, Steve  K7LXC

     "Up The Tower"  now appears in CQ Contest magazine