TailTwister Rotor Problems

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Feb 21 16:32:53 EST 1996

>	I have a TailTwister which is mounted inside Rohn 45 clone, using
>a thrust bearing, and turning a 4-el Cushcraft 20 Meter yagi and a 2-el
>Cushcraft 40 Meter yagi.  The rotor is 11 years old, but has only seen
>service for about 7 of those years.
>	A couple weeks ago (during a 50 mph windstorm), I was
>disappointed to see my antennas swinging back and forth in a 90 degree
>arc. This seemed like a premature death for the rotator, especially
>since the wind load total is only about 15 sq. feet.  Has anyone else had
>similar problems with TailTwisters?

Hiya, Dave --

   The load you described is within the specs of the T2X.  Unfortunately, ANY
rotator has a limited service life.  Any time you have an electromechanical
device holding and turning a round object (the mast), you have asked it to
perform a difficult assignment.  My experience has shown that the 7 years you
mentioned is about the typical life of any rotator (with exception of
prop-pitches.)  I predict your new Yaesu  will give you the same approximate
service.

>I was quite happy with this rotator until this problem.  I also went out and
bought the >new Yaesu rotator (forget the model number, but it has similar
wind load and almost >similar pricing as the TailTwister).  I was intrigued
at the idea of braking via
>the gears its uses (sort of like trying to turn a gear box from the wrong
end, I guess) >and also was surprised to see it uses a DC motor. Any thoughts
on the cause of the >TailTwister's untimely death?  It did successfully
weather a 100 mph hurricane and an >80 mph hurricane a few years back.  I
also would appreciate any thoughts on the >Yaesu model - it is probably not
too late for me to exchange it for another
>TailTwister if I made a bad choice.

   In general, the Japanese rotators appear to be well designed and well
manufactured.   In general, parts and service for the Japanese rotators have
been difficult to come by.

   BTW, the best kept secret in amateur radio is the fact that Hy-Gain has a
flat fee price for fixing their rotators.  For $75 for a Ham IV and $90 for a
T2X, they will fix ANYTHING that is wrong with the rotator.  If you've priced
any of the parts recently, this is the bargain of the century.  In fact, they
haven't adjusted the price since 1983!  Send your T2X back to the factory and
have it repaired - you can't go wrong.

73, Steve  K7LXC

      "Up The Tower"      now appears in CQ Contest magazine

From: richard.frey at Harris.COM (dfrey) (dfrey)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 20:06:46 -0500
Subject: 4O4

     Rob,

     As far as I know, the only officially recognized stations from BiH
     have a T9 prefix.  Surely the Serbs would like to think they can issue
     their own from their own areas of influence, but they are not the
     "recognized lawful >national< authority" for issuing licenses.  I also
     believe the 4O block still belongs to Yugoslavia?

     Dick   9A/K4XU

From: richard.frey at Harris.COM (dfrey) (dfrey)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 21:19:48 -0500
Subject: ARRL DX from 9A1A

     Call: 9A1A                     Country: Croatia
     Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Multi

     BAND    QSO  STATES/PROV

     160     269      39
     80      701      45
     40     1132      52
     20     1234      59
     15      354      36
     10        0       0
     ---------------------

     Totals   3650   231  =   about  2.5M

     Ops: 9A9A 9A5D 9A6D 9A5W 9A2R 9A7R 9A6A 9A2DQ 9A3GW K4XU and about 4
     others.

     Greetings from beautiful downtown Croatia!  The above score is very
     preliminary. I took my bin file and merged it with one from the other
     side of the loop which was broken for a good part of Sat night and
     Sunday morning. CT users note: we do not use a "station #1" in the
     network, so there is no timing sent around the loop.  This greatly
     reduces the traffic on the network, but when I merged the logs I had
     about 30% dupes because the times were off by a minute or so.

     Since I operated only 160, 20, and 15M, all I know about the other
     bands is interpretation of the gab and network traffic - when it was
     working.  The ARRL DX from Europe is a neat contest.  It is a
     nighttime thing until dawn, some sleep, an afternoon foray, then
     another nap until starting over. A 48 hour contest and about ten hours
     of sleep. Wonderful!

     160M: Looks like 9A1A is finally out of the "alligator class". There
     were a few short outbreaks of line noise but the wx was clear and dry.
     Bigger problem was that most of the local autos do not have suppressed
     ignitions.  The snow was too deep for us to use the driveway.  With
     three or four of our cars parked on the road in front of the
     schoolhouse where the towers are installed, the local traffic had to
     navigate the remaining half lane very carefully.  The first station
     worked was K1ZM followed by W3LPL.  Never touched my dial after laying
     claim to 1833.5.  Once or twice I thought about it after TM1C or UA2F
     opened up next door. Some of those stations are rather broad.... 124
     contacts and 30 mults the first night ending with a dupe on N2RM at
     0622.  The second night started with K3NZZ at 2226Z.  If anything it
     was better than the first night, but not as many stations available
     since we had already worked all the big signals.  Again, no S&P.  Just
     lots of CQ on 1834.  I did tune around a bit with the sub receiver on
     the 950SDX to see if there were any stations we missed, but we had
     already worked anyone strong enough to be calling CQ.  The last
     station of Sunday AM was N4KG in AL at 0610.  Niksha, 9A5W worked
     three more stations before packing it up Sunday night, though he was
     plagued by high line noise.  Except for KB5UL in NM, nothing to the
     west at all.  The whole station, amplifiers, radios, rotor controls,
     VHF/UHF radios, TNCs, power supplies, cots, sleeping bags, all have to
     be packed up and put in the closet or the cars before leaving.
     Remember, the contest here ends at 1AM on Monday.  The 160M station is
     a TS950SDX + 77DX to a sloper from the top of the 15M tower at 110'.
     Rx help from a 1 wave Beverage.  Final 160: 255/39.

     80M was the place to be. The operator was Emil, 9A9A, who installed a
     300 degree "stealth" beverage the day before using TOW antitank
     missile wire.  It ran from the corner of the building and across the
     road at 6M high then continued another wavelength at 3M high to the
     termination. Worked like a champ, just ask N9JF.  At the end of the
     first night, Emil was 220 QSO ahead of 40M.  Rig: Just like 160 into
     a pair of full sized phased verticals over 48 radials each. Final
     about 700/45.

     40M:  I'm not sure who the operator was, but he was an unhappy dude
     missing the rates more typical of this band.  Reasonably good long path
     openings to the west coast both days during the 15Z hour: 39/4 the
     first afternoon and 17/0 the second including N0DH/7.   Gear: TS950SDX
     with an old semi-homebrew amp that died early Saturday AM and was
     replaced with a 77DX, into a 4el KLM at 80 feet.  Final tally, about
     1130/52.

     20M:  Using a 6/6 stack on this band at 120/60' gives you an edge when
     working to a specific area of the world.  The TIC ring on the top is
     sure an improvement over the weather-beaten and SLOW tailtwister!
     Saturday Robie 9A3GW and Braco 9A2R had 20M.  It started slowly
     (except for a single 0004Z Q with W1OO) with K1KI at 0923.  Less than
     20/hr until 12Z.  A 100/hr feeding frenzy for the next seven hours
     then nothing, like someone flipped a switch at 1910Z.  Ditto for
     Sunday but only 75/hr.  I did 20M after 15M cooled each day at 1530Z.
     Its fun to say hi to the occasional friend in the middle of a pileup.
     Maybe some thought we were using N6TR-log in the name mode.  I really
     enjoyed operating with Robie who types a helluva lot better than I.
     On Sunday there is no reason for us ever to S&P except with the sub
     rx.  We stay in one spot (get it?) and defend it against all comers...
     including N3AD and K0RF who both made concerted but futile attempts to
     steal it.  Similar equipment on 20M: 950S and Alpha into 6/6.
     1230/59. Missed Lab, VE8 and YUK, hello VY1JA?

     15M:  We exercised the rotator on the top 6el looking for an opening.
     Swinging from skew path over Africa to direct on every signal heard
     coming out of the noise.  Never anything big on Saturday. 70 Qs with
     a rousing 38 hour at 14Z.  On Sunday I started with a personal goal
     to break 150Qs and 25 mults. It began just like Saturday, slowly with
     skew path signals 10, 20 an hour when all hell broke loose at 1515Z.
     78 in that hour, 139 the next, then nothing.  Stations would come in
     waves as spots hit clusters in different parts of the country.  No
     problem making the goal.  Gear: the 160M station with 6/6/6 starting
     at 120'. Final: 354 and 36.

     10M:  We tried!  The 5/5/5/5 stack was sweeping the ether both skew
     and direct. Operators Pero 9A6A and Darko 9A6D made a brave effort,
     but all they could hear was the occasional Italian making it across.

     The Croatian DX Club, 9A1A, has made a big effort to improve
     conditions at the primary school in Kozjaca.  This time there was
     running water for the first time in four years.  A pipe in the
     foundation had burst from frost and the school system had no funds for
     repair. That makes teaching the 15 students in grades 1-4 hard, but
     life for the teacher's family who live in the attached apartment must
     have been really difficult.  The kitchen even had hot water!  Braco
     proved to be a superior cook: bean soup and sausages without
     flatulence.  The kitchen also serves as a shack for 9A1KOZ, the local
     school club. The kids are all age 8-14 and come from several of the
     small schools in the area where 9A1A teaches radio classes twice a
     week.  Even with running water, we polished off two cases of
     Karlavacko Pivo (the local beer in 0.5 liter bottles)....

     There is nothing quite like starting the contest after having had a
     shot of the local homebrew called rakia.  About 120 proof and
     administered with gusto by Bozho, the schoolmaster.  It seems to
     improve my resistance to loud static crashes....

     It looks like I'll be here for another two weeks.  Listen for me as
     9A/K4XU in the WW160 SSB and again with 9A1A in ARRL SSB.

     My apologies to the gang at K4VX. I hate to leave you short handed.
     Just pay their ransom demand and I'll be available by WPX.

     Dick

From: Igor Sokolov" <igor at sokol.pssr.e-burg.su (Igor Sokolov)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 03:48:17 +0500 (ebg)
Subject: Voice keyer with Sound Blaster

Does anybody use Sound Blaster as a Voice Keyer with CT or N6TR contest
loggers. If so, how do you do that. I would be greatful for any help.

--
Best regards,
Igor Sokolov,  UA9CDC , (N3TOD)
E-mail: igor at sokol.pssr.e-burg.su
Phone/Fax: 3432 229621

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:00:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Power Line Noise-Part III

I find the cool or cold days are the worst noise 'cause the pwr lines
shrink and some little sparks start up.  Damp is even worse 'cause damp
hi resistant paths conduct better than dry ones.  73 K4VUD

From: k7fd at teleport.com (John Nicholson) (John Nicholson)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 15:04:41 -0800
Subject: IC775DSP Failures

Here's my 2 cents worth...

I don't know how delicate or dainty the radio is and I hope I don't find out
BUT...

When I first got the radio, I didn't really appreciate what I had. Only
after a few weeks
of operation and learning how to tailor the dsp did I begin to understand
what the
Icom 775DSP was capable of and now...

...after 4 months with my '775, all I can give it is a big thumbs up. I run
the transmit
DSP at 350 hz and 2.7 Khz and the processor and mic gain at 10:30a - this
gives me
the punch I need on the high end and I have received many unsolicited "great
audio"
reports. On the receiver side, it's a gem. I have a very quiet location to
begin with
to be sure, but then on top of that, if I crank in a touch of Noise
Reduction then
basically I have no noise floor at all - just signals! This is where this
particular
radio excels in my opinion: it receives the weakest of signals. Especially
on cw,
where I can actually boost a light signal with the Automatic Peak Filter.

...and whether Icom's are 'delicate' or not, all I can say mine seems to
roll with the
punches. I haven't abused the radio intentionally or otherwise; however a
couple of
power outages here associated with the Oregon floods and 110 mph winds did
hit the
radio while I was operating. These were the short outages of a second or two,
of the flickering type. The radio took those in stride.

If you get a chance, go to HRO like I did and operate the three dsp rigs
side by side.
I did and chose the Icom. All are excellent radios, of course. My personal
preference
for the receive 'sound' and the simplicity of the 775's frequency and
function readout
sold me on this particular rig.

73, John K7FD

    Web Page http://www.teleport.com/~k7fd

From: WYLIE at colloquium.co.uk (THOMAS GILLIES WYLIE) (THOMAS GILLIES WYLIE)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 23:09:12 GMT
Subject: UK COUNTY CODES

UK COUNTY CODES FOR US IN SOME RSGB CONTESTS
ALD   Alderney                                             GU
ATM   County Antrim                                    GI
ARM   County Armagh                                   GI
AVN   Avon
BFD   Bedfordshire
BRK   Berkshire
BDS   Borders                                                GM
BUX   Buckinghamshire
CBE   Cambridgeshire
CTR   Central                                                 GM
CHS   Cheshire
CVE   Cleveland
CLD   Clwyd                                                 GW
CNL   Cornwall
CBA   Cumbria
DYS   Derbyshire
DVN   Devon
DOR   Dorset
DWN   County Down                                      GI
DGL   Dumfries and Galloway                          GM
DHM   County Durham
DFD   Dyfed                                                   GW
ESX   Essex
FMH   County Fermanagh                                 GI
FFE   Fife                                                        GM
GNM   Mid Glamorgan                                     GW
GNS   South Glamorgan                                   GW
GNW   West Glamorgan                                   GW
GLR   Gloucester
GRN   Grampian                                              GM
GUR   Guernsey                                               GU
GWT   Gwent                                                  GW
GDD   Gwynedd                                              GW
HPH   Hampshire
HWR   Hereford and Worcester
HFD   Hertfordshire
HLD   Highlands                                               GM
HBS   Humberside
IOM   Isle of Man                                             GD
IOW   Isle of Wight
JER   Jersey                                                      GJ
KNT   Kent
LNH   Lancashire
LEC   Leicestershire
LCN   Lincolnshire
LDN   Greater London
LDR   County Londonderry                                 GI
LTH   Lothian                                                    GM
MCH   Greater Manchester
MSY   Merseyside
NOR   Norfolk
NHM   Northamptonshire
NLD   Northumberland
NOT   Nottinghamshire
ORK   Orkney
OFE   Oxfordshire
PWS   Powys                                                      GW
SPE   Shropshire
SRK   Sark                                                          GU
SLD   Shetland                                                     GM
SOM   Somerset
SFD   Staffordshire
SCD   Strathclyde                                                GM
SFK   Suffolk
SRY   Surrey
SXE   East Sussex
SXW   West Sussex
TYS   Tayside                                                        GM
TWR   Tyne and Wear
TYR   County Tyrone                                             GI
WKS   Warwickshire
WIL   Western Isles                                                GM
WMD   West Midlands
WLT   Wiltshire
YSN   North Yorkshire
YSS South Yorkshire
YSW   West Yorkshire

All counties in England unless marked.....These County Codes are good for
1996 but will change due to Government changes in 1997.   New Codes in RSGB
Magazine Radio Communication later this year.

73 es guud luck in the Contest

de Tom GM4FDM
WYLIE at colloquium.co.uk

Colloquium Internet

From: Del Seay <seay at alaska.net> (Del Seay)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 14:47:03 -0800

Charles H. Harpole wrote:

> I find the cool or cold days are the worst noise 'cause the pwr lines
> shrink and some little sparks start up.  Damp is even worse 'cause damp
> hi resistant paths conduct better than dry ones.  73 K4VUD

It isn't possible to say one or the other. It depends on what is causing
the "noise". There are too many different sources on all lines conducting
power. The most usual on wood poles is loose hardware, and again that
can be more than one thing happening. Vibrations caused by the magnetic
field, arcing in a splice, etc.
Obviously, the higher the potential, the more likely you will have
radiation. (And re-radiation)
The very best thing to do, is buy where there is only buried lines
for miles! Then go solar power! Then, be sure to pay the priest!
de KL7HF

From: Thomas J. Wall" <0006130613 at mcimail.com (Thomas J. Wall)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 96 18:46 EST
Subject: PJ9G in ARRL SSB TEST

Once again K2NG and K2TW will be operating in the ARRL SSB contest from
Bonaire. Our call this year will be PJ9G (QSL as usual via WA2NHA). Hope the
bands will be in good shape and cu in the contest! 73 K2TW at mcimail.com

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:09:40 -0500 (EST)
Subject: KT-34A

I live about 5 miles from the Sommer Antenna plant, i.e., Mr. Sommer's
house and workshop behind it.  He's a very private man.  But, if I can be
of assistance to anyone because of my location, let me know.
73, K4VUD Geneva, FLA
P.S.  No one, but no one, has mentioned the Sommer antennas on this
reflector, correct?  Are you'all tellin' me sompthin?

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:12:15 -0500 (EST)
Subject: TailTwister Rotor Problems

Steve is correct, again, abt the goodness of the T2X. K4VUD

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:04:40 -0500 (EST)

You gotta be kiddin!  Select a 34A or XA over a TH-7, no way!
73, K4VUD

From: Takao KUMAGAI <je1cka at dumpty.nal.go.jp> (Takao KUMAGAI)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 09:57:38 +0900
Subject: RUFZ Top List(02/20/96)

=== International RUFZ - Top List === (last revised Feb,20 th 1996)
total entries: 96                      including Scores by JE1CKA/INTERNET

   Points   Call  highest CW-PARIS-Speed (* - new, I - Initialspeed)
                  (at Score, (at any other attempt) )
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   62098   HA3NU  520
   60925   HA3OV  520 (567)
   55353   DF4PA  520
   48907    N8RR  480
   47532    W2UP  446
   47028   S51AY  480       ( I=300 )
   42759  DL2HBX  416
   40582   S57AD  390 (446)
   39510  DL8WAA  416
   37463   DF1LX  390
   36807  KC5NWX  367       (=KR0Y)
   35317   RA9AA  390 (416)
   34493   HA1AG  390
   33930   T94EU  367
*  33839   OH7JT  367
   33199  DL1EFD  367
   32973  CT1BOH  367
   32070    K1AR  367
   31943  SM0TXT  347
   31710  DL3DZZ  367
   31688    K1DG  367
   31665  DL3JAN  367
   31200   DL4MM  367
   31101  JE1JKL  347
   29778    K3WW  347
   28859  JH0KHR  347
   28361   HA3OU  328 (390)
   27822  DL9GOA  328
   27596   KE2PF  328
   27566   G4BJM  ???
   26980    AD5Q  328
   26351  IT9VDQ  347
   26120  DL5LYM  347
   25500  SM3JLA  328
   24977    K5ZD  312
   24855   T94TU  347
   24785  SM3OJR  328
   24713  DL8LAQ  312
   24267  JH0NZN  312
   23915    N3RS  312
   23813  RA9ATW  312
   23386    KI3L  312
   23021   T94NF  312
   22840  IT9ZGY  312
   22736    ND3F  376
   22385  IT9XUC  367
   22255    K4XU  297
   22049    KU4J  297
   21948    KR2Q  284
   21654   ZS6EZ  297
   21281   KJ4VH  284
   21133  JA0FVU  284
   20796   F5NLY  297
   20744  JE1SPY  312
   20576   5B4WN  297
   20571    AD1C  297
   19646  RA9AEW  297
   19643   DK8LV  312
   19262   G0SYP  297
   19260   T94NE  297
   19119  SP7NJX  284
   19076    K1IU  271
   19029   DL4KG  271
   18974    K3SA  284
   18940   DJ6WD  284
   18217  DL8DYL  271
   17977   DK5JI  271
   17344  DL1ATO  297
   16597  DL1VDL  271
   16468    K0OD  284
   15846  DL1KBB  250
   15392   DK1WI  250
   15318  RA9ANR  260
   15306  DL7AVE  271 (284)
   15246   T94TF  250
   13926   UA9AR  240
   13821   DK5QN  240
   13255  DL6RDE  240
   13040  RA9ATU  240
   13007  DL6ECA  240
   12850  DL1YAW  240
   12631  DL1DSA  260
   11632  WA1ZUH  223
   11305  DL2SDS  240
   11013   UA9AU  240
   10605    WM1K  215
   10592  T95LIG  231
   10096  HB9HFN  215
    9742  DL8DCY  223
    9097   DK5IF  208  (215)
    8526   DJ3AK  201
    8218   DL7DE  189
    8201  RA9AUC  201
    7356   DJ5KX  201
    6184  DL4JWU  178
    4725  DL1ELY  138
    4441   DH4KW  168

Where to send the score
 1) DL4MM at DB0TUD.#SAX.DEU.EU
 3) Mathias Kolpe,DL4MM, Breitscheidstr. 17, D-01237 Dresden, GERMANY
 4) Tel: +49 -351 254 00 44  Fax:+49 -351 252 63 13
 5) E-Mail to:  je1cka at nal.go.jp or
      NEW!      KOLPE at t-online.de        (DL4MM)

How to get "RUFZ" CW-callsign-practice-program/contest simulation
 1) search for RUFZ at @IBM in any PR-Mailbox or
    mail a request to DL4MM at DB0TUD.#SAX.DE.EU for personal 7PL-files
 2) INTERNET:
    ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/o/oolon/rufz.zip
    ftp://kgise.geo.tu-dresden.de/pub/hamradio/incoming
    http://www.access.digex.net/~k3sa/pvrc.html
 3) EMAIL info-server
    mailto://info-contest@dumpty.nal.go.jp
    with the command in the body:   #get rufzpack.uue
    if you get the reply, you uudecode the body then rufzpack.exe will be
    generated. Run "rufzpack" at the DOS prompt, you'll get all RUFZ-files.
 4) free disc from DL4MM (cover handling/mailing costs only) / ask for info

How to use RUFZ for Top-List
 1) use RUFZ version 2.12 or higher at DOS (not under Windows or DOS-Emulat.)
 2) use 50 Calls per attempt
 3) initial speed is up to you !
 4) use original callsign-file

New scores will be issued every tuesday in PR-Mailboxes at @CONTEST