Tuner Thread

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Wed Feb 28 01:14:35 EST 1996

>>The high quality caps and inductors are made by a company in Ohio - Oren
>>Elliott Co.  The firm will sell to you and anyone else wishing to order.
 It
>>circuitry isn't new or unique, so please do drop me a line when you get
this
>>thing and tell me I'm missing the copper plated case (Millen does this) and
>>the silver over gold contacts and wiring, the edge-wound silver roller (its
>>not per others I've asked) or real gold-flake paint.
>>
>>I understand its your funds, and I wish you the best of pleasure with it!
>>just would like to understand why it is so expensive.
>>Best 73
>>Patrick  WB9IQI

It's interesting to read this, since MFJ tuners use the parts (including
roller) from Oren Elliot!

The roller inductor in the X match doesn't appear to be any bigger, but it is
a nice quality part from Cardwell (with a ceramic form). Of course the basic
offshoot of a reversible L net design helps power handling a lot, especially
on the lower frequencies. My only real critisim is the cabinet design. It
would be nice if the cabinet was RF tight. But even that is only a problem if
the rig or mike is near the case.

My own opinion is the best QRO tuner is an old Johnson KW box. Too bad
there's nothing like that around any more, but that would be a $3000  tuner
now!

73 Tom