160M contests

David_B_Curtis at ccm11.sc.intel.com David_B_Curtis at ccm11.sc.intel.com
Wed Feb 28 13:19:12 EST 1996

de mike n9itx:
> I like W2CRS's (doug) idea about Grid squares that would make the contact
> more meaningful and would allow a program to actually measure distance
> between stations.  (Granted pretty complicated)

actually, a program for distance between grids is very simple.  there is one
published in the ARRL grid locator atlas -- it's only 2 or 3 dozen lines of
code. as a VHF contester, i can tell you that grids are a lot of fun.  Probably
too many of them to be useful as 160M multipliers, but they would be useful for
distance calculations.   Or another thought... exchange grids but only count the
first 3 characters as mults -- you get "grid stripes" 2 degrees wide by 10
degrees tall.  Seems like this would yield a nice number of multipliers for a
160 contest.

73, Dave NG0X  CM87xi
david_b_curtis at ccm.sc.intel.com