Color of WRTC entrants' socks

WN9JAT at aol.com WN9JAT at aol.com
Sun Jul 21 11:54:03 EDT 1996

Clearly you have missed the salient bit of minutia, Boxers or Briefs ?
How can we expect to emulate our contest role models ?

73/Jerry/WN9JAT

p.s. Steady there Trey

From: george at epix.net (AA3JU) (AA3JU)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 10:58:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: WRTC and the Olympics

Yes I can see that being a problem but it raises an issue here:
If there is a major international program to provide for competition between
handicapped individuals (which is a good thing) that we call "The Special
Olympics"  Is it not too also possible to have competiton for the
intellectual crowd?

Lets put them all in Ham Radio HF contesting, Chess, Bridge, Math Tests you
name it?  I know it won't make for really great TV but still (God could you
imagine the publics reaction to watching a WRTC team pound brass for 18 hours?)

This thought brought out also by the ridicule that I was met with when I
tried to explain to some "friends" that I had participated in the "radio
olympics"  I won't repeat the rude comments made here.  Alas just another
case of smart people getting picked on I guess.   We really do need this you
know!

NERD POWER!!!!!

de AA3JU

At 09:44 PM 7/20/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Barry, yes, we thought of that.  Amateur radio is not a "physical" event.
>ie, just like chess or bridge, amateur radio operating will not qualify as
>an Olympic event!
>
>Bill, N3RR
>
>At 03:19 PM 7/20/96 GMT, you wrote:
>>Since the WRTC has evolved into such a world class event, has anyone
>>considered petitioning the Olympic Committee about adding it to future
>>Olympics? Obviously, it won't get TV coverage like the puberty-deprived
>>gymnasts, but neither do many other Olympic events...
>>73 Barry
*George Cook.....AA3JU.....AKA "The Ratman" *
*george at epix.net.....AA3JU@W3PYF            *
*http://www.epix.net/~george                *
*                                           *
*Proudly Frankford Radio Club.........      *
*.......Proficiency Through Competiton.     *
*"Not just words but a way of life"         *

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996 10:58:41 -0400 (EDT), AA3JU wrote:

>Yes I can see that being a problem but it raises an issue here:
>If there is a major international program to provide for competition between
>handicapped individuals (which is a good thing) that we call "The Special
>Olympics"  Is it not too also possible to have competiton for the
>intellectual crowd?
>
>Lets put them all in Ham Radio HF contesting, Chess, Bridge, Math Tests you
>name it?  I know it won't make for really great TV but still (God could you
>imagine the publics reaction to watching a WRTC team pound brass for 18 hours?)
>
>This thought brought out also by the ridicule that I was met with when I
>tried to explain to some "friends" that I had participated in the "radio
>olympics"  I won't repeat the rude comments made here.  Alas just another
>case of smart people getting picked on I guess.   We really do need this you
>know!
Reminds me of a reply a football coach made when he was asked why the college
should spend money on athletic competition instead of academics.  He said "The
college people seem to think it's important.  Did you ever hear of 80,000
people showing up to watch a chemistry test?"

73, Bill W7LZP
wrt at eskimo.com