Fwd: WRTC-2000

BK1ZX70SFL at aol.com BK1ZX70SFL at aol.com
Sun Jul 21 15:16:10 EDT 1996

Move the WRTC weekend? Nope.

Starting flames, put your suit on Rob.

The IARU HF Championship is under the auspices of the IARU - making it the
one international contest which has a backer that is the international
society for all hams.

Like yourself Rob, as an American, you are very free, something which seems
as unimportant to us as having IARU's contest's unspoken backing in the form
of the WRTC being run in conjunction with the IARU can make it be viewed in
the eyes of other governments sending competitors as being a real/serious
event vs. a so-what file that sheet of paper in file 13.

Yes the WRTC being simultaneous with the IARU HF Championship means the condx
for WRTC will never be as good as for those the WW contests enjoy.....period.

A real challenge of the WRTC is how the teams balance their all around
contesting ability including their CW vs SSB operation. I admire the winning
contesters for being able to do "the phone" as well as cw....and knowing when
to say when!

This means that if the competiton is to ride piggy back on THE existing
international contest it pretty much so has to be the IARU HF Championship
that does the piggying.  Politics could get tough if say we were to run the
event as a piggy back to regional/globally events like the All Asian or WAE
or ARRL DX contests....no, keep the link to WRTC - and get the ability to go
both modes on one weekend as well.

As far as making the event a floating one going from country to country, yes.
Without doubt the moving of the event to different countries every cycle (4
years) is definately a sign that it IS an international event and just as the
Ws enjoyed the advantages of knowledge of W propagation the past two runs,
eventually the European operators will enjoy the advantage when the event is
staged in EU and the JA ops when it is done from Asia.

I think your major gripe is that the contest is not as major a player and the
ability to demonstrate multing skills is not given as strong a workout as it
could...I question that moving the contest would change that. The ear wax
boys are without doubt the best at passing mults, and they didn't make the
top ten....the TOY team (k1 TO and kr0 Y) out passed 'em however....don't
tell me that the rate wasn't challenging enough  - the contact leading Judge
and Ajudged team (K4BAI and KM9P) averaged 139.5 QSOs per hour over 18
hours...this is enough of a rate test I think.

So - how do we make the contest more of a passing test, sit back for four
years and most of that problem will be solved. The sunspot cycle will bring
back DXing into the picture, and if the event is held abroad, DXing will be
running W's! And, one more thing that will help....the recollection of this
incredible event held in the minds of those who were lucky enough to have
partaken in it from either end of the QSOs.

WRTC2000, will only have to compromise the antenna requirements to be
duplicated every fours years worldwide, I cannot imagine a location abroad
which would have 52 stations in such close proximity with such similar
antennas.  Heah, this could also will be an opportunity for some antenna
manufacturer to promote its 4 band vertical!  Perhaps the ability to be thE
provider of the antennas used by the WRTC entrants could be auctioned off, as
well as the antennas being supplied gratis.

How about having the next one on a lucious stretch of endless beach, some
sort of major tent or trailer would be required as well as generators of
course. There would be a station every mile or two planting their verticals,
works for me -  other than the potential for the disruption by Foster's Lager
drinking hooligans!

Just a few thoughts from an old fart, writing them down before he forgets
them.

zx               k1zx at contesting.com