Antenna Information needed

K8DO at aol.com K8DO at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 12:40:01 EDT 1996

Antenna gain is proportional to boom length for yagi antennas... element
count is only a minor contributor towards gain after boom length is accounted
for.... (the exception to this is the super gain class of antennas, which we
are not discussing here - see Moxon for a good discussion of this topic)...
Anyone claiming that their short boom antenna is the equal/superior of a
longer boom antenna because of their special design, or their loading method,
or their coaxial driven elements, or their karma (whatever), is either
delusional or less than candid...

None of these laws of electromagnetic circuits are a secret... any reliable
text on antennas will discuss the work of Yagi-Uda, NBS, Kraus/W8JK,
Lawson/W2PV, Moxon/G6XN, (and others, including authors active on this
reflector) and will give the formulas for calculating gain/beamwidth, etc...
Certainly, a manufacturer can build an antenna which falls short of the
predicted gain for its boom length, but no manufacturer can build an antenna
which exceeds the predicted gain ...  as Tony/K1KP pointed out, a bit of
study on the subject can change your perspective dramatically...

Denny   k8do at aol.com