Why vanity calls on contest reflector?

k4sb at avana.net k4sb at avana.net
Sat Jun 15 15:45:15 EDT 1996

Personally, I think a limited discussion of the Vanity calls is beneficial. One
of our sharp eyed brothers has already uncovered a real foul up, and there are
more to come.

For instance, CA held the record once for the greatest number of Club calls
issued to 4 individuals ( 17 ). Unfortunately, it only held for a few weeks when
it was replaced by a TX family of 4 who now hold 24 different club calls. I
personally notified the FCC of both.

Now, just for speculation, let's assume the TX family gets 24 1x2s or whatever.
And suppose they have a "good ole boy" in their group of friends to whom they
hint, that for the right price, they will allow him unrestricted and sole use of
one of these calls. OK, we now have WD5??? operating W5??. Now suppose he is an
extra, or will upgrade...( and I don't even know if that's necessary ). Sometime
down the road, a 610 reflecting a change in trustee is submitted, with, ( oh no )
WD5??? as the new trustee. Now, for all purposes, he OWNS the W5?? call. All he
had to do is operate using the new call, and be sure he renews his WD5 call.

If there is fault in this logic, I would like to hear of it. And incidentally,
a Novice can be the trustee of a Club station with a 1x2 call, and he CAN apply
for such under Gate 1 present rules.

I also hear persistent rumors that individuals under Gate 1 are submitting
applications claiming to be the long lost cousin of W6??. How that is going to
be detected can only come from individuals, since the FCC apparently doesn't care.

73, Ed
Name: ed sleight
E-mail: k4sb at avana.net
Date: 06/15/96