HOW MUCH TUBING NEEDED ?

Kg4w at aol.com Kg4w at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 12:23:41 EDT 1996

Maybe someone out there with ant modeling software
can help me with this question. Question is, how much
tubing would need to be added to the tower decsribed
below, to make it resonant at 1.830 mhz ?

BASIC STARTING POINT
Rohn 25 on a insulated base going up to a height of 112
feet & the top of the tower (proper) is a Rohn "pointy"
top section.  So, from the top of the "pointy" top to to
the insulated base = 112 feet of continious metal.

Now, this is whats planned to extend upwards from
the "pointy top"  & these are all usable lengths (over lap)
has been accounted for.
11 ft  of 2 inch O.D. tubing   ( this is a 12 ft pc of 2" OD with  the  1st
ft
                                          of it mounted along side the
"pointy top"
                                          tubing with  2 "mast to mast"
clamps.)
5 ft 6 inches of 1 7/8 inch O.D. tubing
5 ft 6 inches of 1 3/4 inch O.D. tubing
So, now we have 134 feet of usable vertical metal
with the above described taper. Again question is
how much tubing need be added to resonate at 1.83 mhz ?
Please use the following tube sizes & "usable lengths"
for the additional tubing.

5 ft 6 inches of 1 5/8 in O.D.   (if more needed) go to
5 ft 6 inches of 1 1/2 in O.D  (if more GEZZZZ i hpe not) use
5 ft 6 inches of 1 3/8 in O.D.  stop..

I realize, that we reach a point where the spegettii  sticking
out of the top will no longer support itself & if thats the
case  maybe one more section of rohn 25 or a larger sized
"starting point" tubing or more extreme tubing size reduction
may work better.  I think it will work as described if no more than
2 additional pcs of tubing are needed.

There will be "guy points" at the following heights  25',  54',  83',
 & 109 ft   The guys will be "non metallic" but the first  3 feet
of each guy as it leaves the tower will be metallic. All guys will
attach to anchors located  71 ft out from the tower.

I started not to include the following info with my question as i
did not think it would have any bearing on the "answer" but i'll
throw it in also.

The "base" of this tower will be 35  ft  above the ground.
The 1st 35 ft will also be rohn 25 but there will be a insulated
joint at 35 ft and the actual antenna will start at that point &
be as i described above. there will b 4 qtr wave radials just
above the insulated joint. There will be  continious metallic
guys at the 30 ft point on this 35 ft pc of tower also attached
to the anchors located 71ft from the tower. The reason for
the high "starting point" for this ant is to overcome severe
sloping ground and to make the ant base level with the 3 other
towers to be added later.

I realize we can find the resonant point at 1.83 mhz by measuring
& adding/subtracting tubing then measuring again but sure wud be
nice to initially just have to maybe reduce the length of the tubing
a few inches then measure agn es be done. By the way this is
not my system but is a friend who does not have e-mail.

Tnx Ed  KG4W
NNNN

.