All this KV4 stuff

harrisons1 at TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US harrisons1 at TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US
Thu Jun 20 12:45:51 EDT 1996

I'm KV4F since 1980.  From Tn , not VI.  Shud hve seen the confusion wid
DX who thot they had gd Dx.  HI!!
Got lots of Qsl's who really wanted VI, not TN.

73 es Gd DX, Sherman, KV4F ..

>From gswanson at arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW)  Thu Jun 20 19:18:00 1996
From: gswanson at arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW) (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 14:18:00 -0400
Subject: Vic's "phone" contact

Yep, Jack,

     I've heard that story about Vic's "phone" contact.

     Vic was an early user of a CQ machine for contests.  His was a large
disc driven by a 1-rpm clock motor, with dots and dashes (technically known
as dits and dats) cut into the edge of the disc and a microswitch rolling
along the edge of the disc to key the rig.

     Late one Saturday night (early one Sunday morning) of a Sweepstakes
contest, Vic turned on the CQ SS machine and went into the adjacent bathroom
to splash water on his face and get himself more alert.  After he did that,
he became alert enough to realize he had other business to do.  By the time
he finished his other task, he was alert enough to realize that the CQ
machine was STILL running!

     He dashed back to the rig, signed "K," and stood by to hear what he
described as a pileup of "several hundred WB2s all calling" him.  [WB2 at
that time was one of the latest prefixes.]

     Hey, Colson, good to hear from you!  Is my memory correct---wasn't that
microphonic VFO QSO the only HF "phone" contact Vic ever made?

     I'm not on the reflector, but ole Glenn is posting this for me.  Tnx,
Glenn.

                    73 all,    Al, K3KMO
                    (1960s era contester)