Antenna Trolly System

k4sb at avana.net k4sb at avana.net
Sun Jun 23 05:54:23 EDT 1996

Stan, the system I use, which I was taught by others here in the ATL area and which
I have modified is like this.

I connect a STEEL cable about 2' above the antenna to be lowered or raised. IF
the antenna is more than a foot above the top of the tower, I lower it to that
level. The cable is of course secured to the mast. To bring the antenna down, I
have a length of HEAVY chain which I secure about 3 feet out from the center of
the antenna. ( I usually when I build the antenna put heavy duty eye bolts in
these positions. The chain has safety belt clamps which merely clip onto the eye
bolts. The center of the chain has a heavy duty ( rated at 480 lbs---destruct
level over 2000 pounds---made by Deuel Manf. ) pully which is treaded onto the
cable and the normal mount of the pully connects to the center of the chain.

I mount another pully ( using muffler clamps above the 2' point, and have one
directly at the base of the tower. I use medium duty ( > 500 pounds breaking
point ) nylon line, run it through the tower base pully to the tower mast pully,
and connect to center of chain. Next I tension the far end of the cable with my
pickup truck, or to a BIG tree. Use a "come-along" but don't get carried away.
The base pully rope goes to my Toyota Tractor....Dismount the antenna and the
weight and all are transferred to the cable. Down the tower and either pull on
the the rope ( if the antenna is on the ground ) or start out about 150' away
and drive toward the antenna. Rope goes through pully, gravity starts antenna
down and hopefully, you will have the antenna at ground level before you hit the
tower with the tractor. Incidentally, somewhere on the cable at about the 20'
point above ground...I put a couple of cable clamps to form a stop. After the
antenna is down, I loosen the cable and the antenna comes gently to ground.

I do this by myself, and it usually takes about an hour....up or down. BE SURE
the cable pulls against a guy OR install a temp guy opposite the pully. ( except
for light antennas...say up to 75 pounds. )

I'm sure some of the other guys can comment or add to this. Good luck...Also
works out fine for testing the antenna and tuning it before you permanently install
it...

73, Ed
Name: ed sleight
E-mail: k4sb at avana.net