Steve Mendelsohn's letter

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Jun 25 10:18:50 EDT 1996

>John, I think you're right on target.  I'd bet that radio sales are as good
>as ever, but "as good" doesn't cut it with corporate investors.   That,
coupled with >ARRL's flat membership has caused an acorn to fall out of the
oak tree, land on Steve >Mendelsohn's head, and now he's running around
proclaiming that the sky is falling.

      Your perception that radio sales are as good as ever is not correct.
 The current state of the amateur domestic marketplace is called a recession.
 Some ham radio dealers have gone out of business (Erickson in Chicago for
one) and many more are hanging on their fingernails.  The acorn you mentioned
is called the "real world"

>Once again, I agree.  Most of these no-coders just want a respectable CB
radio in their >car, something with which to talk to their spouses and
friends on the way home from >work.  It's cheaper and easier than a car phone
(or two if your spouse commutes).

     Tell me how this is different from 2 meters or 440?

>Further, why do we allow the ARRL to bow to the desires of the corporate
>profiteers?  It's their business to make profits, not ours, and it's
>certainly not  the business of a "non-profit" organization like the ARRL.
>While Steve Mendelson is wailing that the sky is falling, Kenwood is
>building TS-870s, Yaesu is building FT-1000MPs and ICOM is turning out
>IC-775s.  I don't think they'd be doing that if there was no profit in it.

     Informed industry sources have told me that Kenwood lost $15 million
dollars last year.  How long do you think amateur manufacturers continue to
invest in R&D, manufacturing and marketing before they give up?  There are
many other more lucrative markets for them to invest their money in.

>We're in a solar minimum, for goodness sakes.  Interest in HF has waned all
over, >even into the ranks of the DX club I'm associated with.  I don't run
around wailing about >declining membership being caused by the lack of
upgrading no-coders!  If I believed >that, I would go about finding ways to
get them involved, not petition to lower test >requirements.  I've been
licensed for just under 3 years, so I'm one of those >"newcomers"  While
Steve digs a hole to protect us from the falling sky, he's
>digging it large enough to bury  us... if he continues to pursue corporate
>and ARRL increases as if he was hounded by stockholders.

     What do you mean by "increases"?  You lost me on that one.  If you mean
income, we all need that.  Your Chicken Little attitude is only helpful if
you indeed get other people involved.  I challenge you to do that.
                   73,  Steve   K7LXC

From: ericr at access.digex.net (Eric Rosenberg) (Eric Rosenberg)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:23:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Thanks for Insurance Info!

Thanks to all who responded to my insurance information request.

It appears that the damage was induced by a nearby lightning strike.

As it happens, the Washington DC area was subjected to a tornado yesterday
afternoon.  It was quite a time -- totally black outside, very heavy rain,
lots of lightning and trees down.  What a year it has been!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

73,
Eric  WD3Q
Washington, DC
ericr at access.digex.net

From: wb4iuy at nando.net (Dave Hockaday) (Dave Hockaday)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:23:36 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Steve Mendelsohn's letter

>>John, I think you're right on target.  I'd bet that radio sales are as good
>>as ever, but "as good" doesn't cut it with corporate investors.   That,
>coupled with >ARRL's flat membership has caused an acorn to fall out of the
>oak tree, land on Steve >Mendelsohn's head, and now he's running around
>proclaiming that the sky is falling.
>
>      Your perception that radio sales are as good as ever is not correct.
> The current state of the amateur domestic marketplace is called a recession.
> Some ham radio dealers have gone out of business (Erickson in Chicago for
>one) and many more are hanging on their fingernails.  The acorn you mentioned
>is called the "real world"

I'm cornfused :-). I thought the numbers of licensed amateurs were higher
now than ever before. What was the state of the "amateur radio economy" back
in the 70's and 80's? I've been an amateur for 22 years. There weren't
nearly as many hams in the mid-70's as now, and there seemed to be more
amateur equipment manufacturers/publishers back then. Is the recession maybe
perceived by the manufacturers now due to a drop in the rate of increase of
sales over the last few years? It seems to me that we would eventually reach
the top of the curve, where the consumers/marketplace would become saturated.

I'm no financial analyst, but I am a VE. I've been testing since 1992. While
the numbers have dropped from 30-50 applicants/test session to a steady
15-20, upgrades are still going strong. The numbers I keep seeing "pop up"
in reports about declining upgrades don't match what I see here. Any session
we have is larger than the monthly session was in Norfolk where I tested in
1975. Were the manufacturers talking of a recession in 1975? I honestly
don't remember, but I do remember that there were lots of rigs available
(maybe not multiple models from each manufacturer like there are now).

>>While Steve Mendelson is wailing that the sky is falling, Kenwood is
>>building TS-870s, Yaesu is building FT-1000MPs and ICOM is turning out
>>IC-775s.  I don't think they'd be doing that if there was no profit in it.
>
>     Informed industry sources have told me that Kenwood lost $15 million
>dollars last year.  How long do you think amateur manufacturers continue to
>invest in R&D, manufacturing and marketing before they give up?  There are
>many other more lucrative markets for them to invest their money in.

That's a lot of money. I wonder how they calculate their losses. Do they do
so by estimating their projected sales based on the previous year + some
percentage (every company wants increases), then calling the difference a
loss? I see the company I work for doing this in meeting, where flat sales
from one year to the next would automatically be called a loss. Is there $15
million lost due to equipment built but not sold (with production based on
what?).

>Your Chicken Little attitude is only helpful if
>you indeed get other people involved.  I challenge you to do that.
>                   73,  Steve   K7LXC

I realize that statement was for someone else, but I wanted to comment that
I teach about 3 classes/year, with one of those classes being a general
class upgrade session. Many of the area groups teach classes as well. I
still can't understand how we can be in a recession when the numbers are
increasing. This isn't an argument, but rather a state of confusion...

73

Dave Hockaday Wb4iuy
wb4iuy at nando.net

http://www.webbuild.com/~wb4iuy/
http://www.webbuild.com/~wb4iuy/teara.html
http://www.RTPnet.org/~fcarc/
http://www.RTPnet.org/~rdrc/
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/3349/
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/3341/
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/3489/
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/3212/

From: seay at alaska.net (Del Seay) (Del Seay)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 06:44:10 -0700
Subject: Tower Trolley

When I originally offerred to send the KL7C Trolley info, I
had intended to include a note to each that responded.
I did not expect the landslide responce I would get. So, with
the reflectors indulgence, I will do it here.

I said Ray used a 3/8" drill motor for raising and lowering the
system. It appears it was a 7/8" drill motor, although I don't
believe I have ever seen one.

The gear train he used was one from a winch, I don't have any more
info on that.

The trolley looked fragile to me, but after many blows in excess of 100
knots, it was still intact, and even after he lost the tower in a
wind of 150 knot, the trolley remained.

KL7U used Ray's system, but added a feature that allowed the trolley
to lock into place at the apex. I have very little info on Lon's
mod, but will try to get some drawings the next time I talk to him.
By the way, the system KL7U used was on a huge commercial tower
very similar to Rohn 55, so it is adaptable to any tower.

73 , de KL7HF

From: rattmann at cts.com (Rattmann) (Rattmann)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 07:50:50 -0700
Subject: W6UQF SK

Dave,
I must tell you that on June 24, about 3 pm we lost Charlie, W6UQF.  Not
sure yet if it was heart or a stroke, but it was sudden.  Apparently he had
a flat tire in his neighborhood and was hoofing it back to his house, and
just went down.  He had just enjoyed Field Day with a group the day before.

Charlie was a real enthusiast and we will sure miss his activity in all the
tests.

73,  Glenn K6NA