Steve Mendelsohn's letter

k4sb at avana.net k4sb at avana.net
Tue Jun 25 19:30:46 EDT 1996

Aren't we missing the point here? ARRLs flat membership ( based on their QST
circulation data which includes other than members ) represents about 20% of the
US ham population. It appears to me that fault lies with the ARRL, because I
simply don't believe that the other 80% ( all of them ) are as notoriously cheap
as the rest of us.

Considering their ad prices, subscription rates, and the "What in the world do I
need to belong to the ARRL for because I just want to talk on 2 meters" from the
Teckies...it's no wonder.

And just how does the ARRL justify representing the US with such a minority. What
is needed is another organization which could gather more members, and simply vote
the ARRL out.

Don't know much about the Kenwood profit or loss ( but keep in mind that about
90% of JA Corps. show a loss on their income tax EVERY year....and this includes
Toyota, Niesson, and quite a few more. ) I do know that when a Repair center has
to order a part, the price of the part is based on the Yen vs the US dollar for
that particular day, or a minimum price which was established when the Yen was
really up. In other words, you pay premium prices, and if the figures justify it,
a premium on a floating basis.

I've been a life member since it cost $125 dollars, but they're going to make a
profit on me if no code or ridiculously low code becomes a reality. I'll cancel
the sucker.

Best to all

Ed
Name: ed sleight