Andrew Connector Part Deux

ramirezk at emi.com ramirezk at emi.com
Sat Mar 16 18:02:25 EST 1996

 Thanks for all the responses guys! The answer is Yes.Extra
waterproofing is needed for an absolute watertight seal. Every
splice at my QTH is triple sealed with layers of electrical tape
and Rubber sealing tape.(coax seal) This is the way I have
always done it. This combo has always worked well for me. The N,
PL-259, whatever, type connectors remain shiny and uncorroded
when they are taken apart when sealed in this manner even after
years of use. There was a reason I chose to leave this
particular joint unsealed except for the Andrew connector seals.
I don't remember why though. HI!
 I climbed the tower earlier today and took the connector apart
from the 7/8 and am happy to say that it was bone dry with no
corrosion internally as far as I could inspect.I reassembled and
sealed it using the proper techniques. I can say though that
properly installed, genuine Andrew connectors do a good job of
keeping the moisture out. I was certain that water would have
made its way inside after those 87 MPH winds with rain that we
had yesterday.Extra preventive measures never hurt.Thanks to all
who responded with their personal experiences. 73 Ken KP4XS/W4