HAMS, CONTESTS, POWER, ...

i4jmy at migate.ampr.org i4jmy at migate.ampr.org
Thu Mar 28 18:38:51 EST 1996

From: i4jmy at n8it.#nwmi.mi.usa.noam
To: cq-contest at tgv.com

    Radio Amateurs have to pass an examination to get their licence
  That's including mostly radio-electronics, rules, CW tests on TX
  and RX.

    If the only game would consist in a PTT pressure and shouting
  in a microphone no one would ask us anything than money. Ours
  would be a sort of (expensive) CB.

    Ham-Radio then is a technological "hobby". Operator's skill is
  only an important aspect of the hobby, not the only one.
  There are receivers, transmitters, antennas, amplifiers, lines and
  gains, losses, arrays ,waves, sunspots, propagation etc etc.

    The partecipation in a contest, is a competition were the best
  combination between operator's SKILLNESS and KNOWDLEDGE has to
  match for having result.

    Who is thinking to standardize stations to check only operator's
  ability is making a mistake and showing his technical limits.

    First of all because making all sites equal is a (silly) utopy.
  How could you make antennas height from ground all the same ?
  Cutting taller towers ? Bringing antennas down from mountains ?
  Shortening (or pulling) buildings ? And the latitude ? The effect
  of very peculiar locations (sea) ?

    Second because even if the above was reached (as an absurd), all
  the technical experiences we have made would be meaningless and
  only time lost.

    To check pure operators ability there are existing PEDS and VPEDS
  computer programs, to organize a WRTC there is need of placing
  similar stations in a very limited area.

    Contests are for RADIO AMATEURS, who are operating a station
  that's a complex combination of human and technical features.

  73