Stub QTHs

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Thu Mar 28 13:13:50 EST 1996

>Question 1): it would seem that placing the stub as close to the linear is
>the best place for it (I guess)....but it sure would be easy to place a
>t-connector on the outside of the house where the hardline ends and take
that
>rolled up stub line and hang it up on the outside wall of the house on a
>graden hose hanger....it would also be very cosmetic/neat/orderly.

The best place to put a hi-reject stub is exactly a 1/4 wl from the source,
if the source has a low pass filter in the output (like an ampolifier). The
reason is a shorted stub is a low impedance, if you just place it across the
amp output the low shunt Z of the stub barely improves the bypassing. If the
stub is pl;aced 1/4 wl away (at the harmonic F) the transmission line inverts
the impedance to a high impedance. We not only have the advantage of a low Z
stub shunting the line at the stub location, we have the andvantage that the
amplifiers tank (a low shunt Z at the harmonic) looks into a very high Z load
at the harmonic frequency! The improvement in supression can be many dB!

>Question 2): Okay I 'm gonna put the stub/trap outside. Is there a length of
>coax running to the rig from the stub that would be better or worse? I know
>some have talked about using two stubs and a crtical spacing between the two
>exists (is it 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave ??).

1/4 WL at the harmonic fy, always! Unless the source is high Z at the
harmonic, like a series "C" T network!

>Question 3): If I make the stub out of 1/2" CATV hardline what is my
>multiplier for calculating its length? If I understand correctly, hardline
is
>a much better choice for this type of a "filter", as opposed to say RG213
>with a woven shield. Hopefully the stub I will need is an "open" at the far
>end and I can home in on the correct length with my tubing cutter and a pair
>of lineman's pliers.

The shield QUALITY has little to do with anything except as it affects line
loss. A lower loss line will present a more extreme impedance at the far end.
Use a low loss line for the stub! Loss is critical to performance.

>Question 4): Have you used Autek RF-1 to make stubs? What technique do you
>use with it, i.e. what position do you set the meter in, etc. Have you found
>it to consistantly say the same thing - and - have you checked it against
>another measuring device. I like ours a lot, it is neat, but I sometimes see
>it "take off" on the lower frequencies, I suspect due to the fact that we
>have an AM broadcast sire nearby which probably is overloading it.

I use a 259 MFJ, but the Autek or anything else will work. BC stations are
always a problem for these instruments. The MFJ 259 instruction manual covers
it all in great detail (it was written by a contract engineer well informed
about RF). Buy the manual, even if you have an Autek!

73 Tom W8JI