Loos tension gauge

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Mar 30 18:09:37 EST 1996

>I guess I wasn't paying attention the first time around. How does one
>use this on EHS steel and Phillystran? Tnx/Barry

Hiya,  Barry --

    I just ordered one of these gauges so I'll let you know specifically.

    The way that you typically measure the tension is with in conjunction
with a cable grip and comealong.  Put the cable grip up on the guywire,
attach the gauge, then the comealong to the guy anchor.  Now start taking up
the slack with the comealong. Keep cranking until the the turnbuckle hardware
goes slack.  As soon as it goes slack, stop.  You have now transferred the
guy tension to the comealong and gauge.  Look at the gauge, the reading on
the gauge is the tension.  Adjust the comealong until you reach the desired
reading.  Now adjust the turnbuckle until the comealong goes slack.  Now
you've transferred your new tension to the guy wire and turnbuckle hardware.
 You only have to measure one guy wire on each level; by definition they'll
all be the same tension (all else being equal).  This is done, of course,
after you've tightened the guy wires to initial approximate tension and the
tower is plumb.

73 and good luck,  Steve   K7LXC