More Power

RFPWR at aol.com RFPWR at aol.com
Sat Mar 30 23:27:48 EST 1996

Hi All:

Over on the swap newsgroup a day or so ago, I saw a used 4CX5000 commercial
amp advertised for sale. That posting and the recent ones on here about super
QRO caused me to recall some past installations I have seen, back in the
early 70's. Although I have been only moderately active on contesting and
DX'ing since then, my feeling is that these super QRO installations are less
common today.

I recall one station who had a homebrew 4CX5000 amplifier built into his wall
closet. He had another mounted remotely in his garage. A Raytrack DX2000L was
used for a driver (2x3-500Z). The antennas were long boom mono yagis at 120'
plus, fed with large Heliax.

There was another 4CX5000 amp in the same geographic area, although with only
a 204BA at 50'.

Then there were the second level QRO stations who were running a pair of
4-1000's. There must have been a bunch of these around; I have seen 5 or 6 of
these stations.
I once saw a station (not a contester, a DX-er)  who had 5 rack mounted amps,
one for each band, each with a pair of 4-1000's.

All of the above examples were before the days of 1500W output as  the legal
limit. I am willing to bet that there were even bigger stations out there.
Texas and California are rumored to be locations for really big power amps.

Now we have the situation where all of us running popular amps with ceramic
tubes can exceed the legal power output limit. Anyone with  an Alpha
(2x3CX800 or 3x 3CX400),
Ameritron (3CX1200 or 8877/3CX1500),  or other similarly equipped box can do
it. My feeling is that, these days, we are all pretty much running similar
power levels (within a few db :-) . To me, a station running 3 or 4 KW today
has no significant advantage over someone running at the approximate legal
output limit, especially if the legal limit station has better antennas
(stacks, etc).

There are a lot of two holer's out there. Last year while in WV, I walked
into a CB'ers shack and he had a new commercial amateur amplifier (one holer)
made by a famous, well known concern. I asked him how he was able to buy it.
He said "I just called the factory and ordered it." If a CB'er can do that,
how difficult can it be for a ham to buy a two holer?

His buddy across the "holler" had one also. He had 2 SB220's as standby
units.

I hear the latest thing is to run multiple, legal limit amps to separate
antennas, driven by a common exciter. That way, you can "spray" a legal limit
signal in each direction.
Or, multiple legal limit signals in one direction. :-) Stacked antennas and
amplifiers :-)

If Tim "Tool Man" Taylor was a ham, he'd be reaching for the Variac. More
Power!!
Gosh, I wish this SSB WPX contest wasn't so boring.

73, Chas N8RR
ex DL4CM, WA8FCM