Little lots 'n' tall towers

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Wed May 8 21:29:41 EDT 1996

I came across a study of commercial towers about ten years ago by some NJ
engineering firm. They studied how large towers failed (300-2000' towers) and
concluded that in all of the failures they studied (I don't remember how
many) none had fallen farther from the base than 30% of the height.  (It
isn't certain that smaller towers would fail in the same way.)  I think the
details ended up with Chris Imlay, N3AKD, the ARRL's general counsel.

73 Tom

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444