Rookie of the Year - SS Plaques

rkaufman at magic.mb.ca rkaufman at magic.mb.ca
Fri Nov 1 21:29:00 EST 1996

VE4GV puts his money where his mouth is and Announces:

******* Sweepstakes Rookie of the Year Award********

Better late than never.
Looks like my idea for a Rookie of the Year Award has received
ZERO publicity by the ARRL. AArrgh !! No write up in QST either !

( Thanks Billy :-(  ) I'll bet the ARRL cashed my money order for
the hundred bucks, tho.

Anyway, I've sponsored one plaque for each mode. This is how it
works:

*******Rookie of the Year Award********

Rookie defined : Licensed in the last 2 years. eg/ stations
eligible for this year's award will have been licensed either in
1995 or 1996.
(Those with lapsed licenses/relicense, please think twice before
applying. This award is mean to encourage "first timers or
newbies" to SS)

Exchange: Rookie stations MUST use their correct CK year to
identify them as a Rookie during the contest. We need to know who
they are.

example : Club stations with experienced ops may NOT "import" a
rookie's year of license to their call to squeeze into this
category. However Rookies are encouraged to find a club station
to try to operate from a club. They may use the club call but
must sign their true rookie CK year. The idea is to prevent
experienced ops from "using" a rookie call to enter this
category.

Category : A power ONLY. No exceptions. Single op (Unassisted).
Sorry folks, no smoke allowed.

Mode: One plaque award for each mode
      (see below)

Scoring: Highest score wins. In the case of a tie, station with
most mults wins. If still tied, hell, I'll pay for another
plaque. We should be so lucky !!!

Log submission: Standard log submission rules apply.
( See ARRL format)

Rookie of the Year award can be won only ONCE by a station in a
mode in a two year period. You may win in both years in alternate
modes:
ie/ KF6ABC can win PHONE plaque in 96 AND CW plaque in 96 but not
PHONE plaque in 96 AND 97.

Winner will be contacted by the ARRL and be asked to VERIFY their
year of licensure by sending a copy or Faxing a copy of their
license to the ARRL contest desk. (NO, I don't want this to be
extra work for Billy Lunt, so lets keep it honest.)

I hope I haven't left anything out. Further info can be received
by emailing me : rkaufman at magic.mb.ca

Look for me in SS. I'll be looking for all the rookies !

"Everybody needs at least one MB QSO"

Please compensate us poor VEs for living up here. We've already
got permanent SNOW !

Rob VE4GV

PS Is it possible to get a GOOD SS writeup in QST this year ? It
sure would help participation.