open logger proposal

David Robbins ky1h at berkshire.net
Sun Nov 3 12:27:35 EST 1996

I have a dream....  a logging program that is extendable, user
configurable, and is supported across various platforms.

My vision is of a program written in Java using a standard
database access and an open specification for the components
so they could be easily replaced or upgraded.  Just think of
being able to replace a serial port with a tcp/ip module for
networking.  Or plugging in an FT-1000mp control module in
place of a TS-940s module.... or even better, being able to
take a generic radio module and configure it yourself for
your new FT-1000000MPXYZ.

Obviously this is not an overnight project, I am thinking of
the future.  I wouldn't trust Java with making coffee right
now, let alone trying to run it for 48hrs straight in such an
application.  And of course lots of us wouldn't have the
computer resources to run it right now anyway.  But some day
the support for CT will finish fading away, and pentiums or
better processors will take over, and Java (or a similar
object language) will mature enough, and ???????  I think
starting this now will provide a path to the future of not
just contest logging, but maybe complete station operation.

This logger would not be ready for general use for a couple
years probably.  I think it will take several months to just
figure out the basis of the data structures, and at least
as many to collect a list of features for a user interface.

I would like to get some idea of the interest in a project like
this.  This would probably take a group of contributers, I
definately don't have time to do it all myself, but if there
is some interest in this project I would like to be in on it.

ky1h at berkshire.net   or   robbins at berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html