Good vertical?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sun Nov 10 14:50:47 EST 1996

>Pardon me for asking such a vague question. I am in a deed restricted area
>and just have a wire up. I might throw up a vertical. Not a four-square
>or other array, just a single ground-mounted vertical.
>
>Available are Cushcraft, Butternut, Hustler, Hy-Gain, and more.
>
>Your .02 greatly appreciated.

Hi, Bob --

    First of all, ANY vertical on your list will work better with a decent
ground radial system.  Don't believe what they say about "no radials
required" verticals.

    All of the aforementioned antennas are trapped verticals exhibiting
varying degrees of inefficiency and bandwidth.  Combine that with their low
angle of radiation and you can see that they leave something to be desired.
 "Dummy load on a stick" is just one of the many disparaging comments aimed
at them.

    I used to work for a ham dealer (CCOMM) and we sold a lot of Butternuts
because they seemed to work better than the rest.

    I would suggest you check into the new ZR vertical dipole antenna from
Force 12.  It is basically 3 vertical dipoles (10, 15 and 20M) that are bent
so that it has a pretty low profile.  The antennas are over 90% efficient
(because they are full-sized dipoles) unlike the competition, they have
terrific bandwidth (see previous comment), will take any amount of power you
desire and REALLY doesn't need any ground radials (it's a dipole remember).
 And it only has to be mounted 2 feet off the ground.  It looks a little
unconventional but it'll run circles around any other HF vertical.  If I was
in the market, I'd buy one is a New York second.

    BTW, a better place to post this is on TowerTalk - the tower and HF
antenna reflector.  Send a message to towertalk-request at akorn.net with
subscribe in the message.  See you there.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for amateurs -
                                 and Force 12 dealer

Yes, the opinions expressed are those of my employer and his opinions are
mine.