Pennsylvania QSO Party Success despite Conditions

DougHDH at aol.com DougHDH at aol.com
Mon Oct 14 22:31:34 EDT 1996

First report:  Pennsylvania QSO Party

Outstanding - although many of you probably never heard us!  Solar flare or
??? caused absolutely awful conditions - 40 meters only open in spurts, 20
meters was a sea of static and signals were in and out similar to meteor
scatter on vhf!

BUT, if you were within earshot of Pennsylvania on 80/75 meters, you would
have heard wall to wall stations from the Keystone State.  Many records were
reported, many stations worked all 67 counties, and big scores heard coming
out of VE and nearby northeast and mid-atlantic sections.  Also, have no
fear, the NNY stations were around in droves which bodes well for the SS and
the new section.

Hard counties to find were:  Franklin, Warren, Philadelphia!, Northumberland
and Juniata - (that's NOT Juanita but June - e - ata).  Expeditions to Elk,
Cambria, Fulton, Fayette, Potter, Delaware Co, Indiana, Snyder, Cameron,
Clinton, Huntingdon, and others made a clean swap easily attainable.  Also,
big club participation - who is going to take the trophy this year??

So, if you couldn't hear Pennsylvania because of conditions, we are sorry as
you missed a "really big" do!   Hopefully, condx will improve for CQWW and SS
 - they can't possibly be any worse than this past weekend.

Please send in your logs  (Nittany ARC, c/o W3HDH, RD #1, Box 760,
Petersburg, Pa. 16669).  Rumors and early results to follow - and our
HomePage when I get time to get it up and running!

73,  Doug W3HDH