5X1T: a good cqww. Noooot!

CasierP at wfp.or.ug CasierP at wfp.or.ug
Tue Oct 29 10:14:58 EST 1996

     A Great CQWW contest - NOOOOT

     40 HOURS OF RADIO AND NOT A SINGLE MULTIPLIER

     It was Saturday Oct 26 in the afternoon. Last weekend of October.
     CQWW weekend. I was standing on the roof of Entebbe airport, the
     international airport of Kampala, Uganda. Somebody called on VHF: 'T
     minus 30 minutes, the planes are landing!'. The telecom crew looked up
     from their work as two cargo planes approached the runway. 'UN-WFP'
     was painted on their side, United Nations World Food Programme, the UN
     organisation I work for as regional telecom manager.
     I let out a long sigh. 'At least we're payed for this', joked Ake,
     5X1R, who stood next to me, and guessed how my mind wandered off
     to the CQWW SSB contest which was not to happen for me this year.

     It all started six days ago. Fighting between the Zairean Tutsi's and
     the military run out of hand in Uvira, East Zaire. The 200,000
     refugees in the camps around the city were fleeing for their safety,
     to the North, to Bukavu, the nearest refugee camps. The lifes of the
     expatriate aid workers was threathened and they were evacuated from
     Uvira with a WFP plane, leaving behind a total chaos: local people,
     the Tutsi rebels, the Zairean army looting and fighting. We airlifted
     our people out on Tuesday, and the days after, alarming reports
     reached us that the fighting was approaching Bukavu. About 110,000
     refugees from Uvira had then approached the already existing Bukavu
     refugee camps, population 300,000.
     I saw it coming: no cqww for me this year. And true it was. On Friday
     morning the UN decided to airlift food into Bukavu, as the
     foodpipeline, to Bukavu was stopped. This pipeline is a fleet of
     Kampala based trucks who drive in hundreds of tons of food per day, to
     Goma and Bukavu. But the border with Zaire was recently closed due to
     local fighting and Goma itself was not much safier either. With a
     refugee population increasing to 500,000 , Bukavu foodstocks could no
     longer be replenished.
     The same day, our regional telecom crew prepared to put up an air
     operations communication center in Entebbe.

     The next day, Saturday morning at 10:00, we left Kampala with two cars
     full of equipment, and we set up the radio stations on Entebbe
     Airport, one hour's driving away.

     Now the first two of five planes were flying in and we needed to be
     ready A.S.A.P. And ready we were. Six hours after leaving Kampala, we
     had two HF base stations up and running, one VHF base, on cellulare
     phone as at 1600 hours the first plane took off direction of Bukavu.
     The first messages were immediately handled by our newly set up air
     ops comms room.
     One radio was in continuous contact with the planes, one handled all
     traffic between the bases in Kampala, Goma and Bukavu, as well as with
     the WFP air ops centres in Nairobi and Lokichogio, both in Kenya. The
     VHF links were used to liaise between the Crisis Team in Kampala (who
     were in contact with the WFP HQ in Rome and UN HQ in NY), and the
     logistics ground crew, who was around in the airport, getting air
     clearances, ordering fuel, looking for storage and accomodation for
     people and cargo.

     Meanwhile, our orders were changed: instead of flying in the food, we
     were to get the aid helpers out of Bukavu, as the situation was
     running out of hand and headed straight for a plain blood bath. The
     scenario in Bukavu was equal to that of Uvira, a couple of days
     before, and Rwanda in 1994. At this point in time, 600,000 refugees
     were struggling for their lifes in between the fighting and the
     looting.

     The air ops communication centre which I manned resembled like
     manning single handedly a multi-multi contest station with one person.
     Hundreds of messages were relayed and logged. Main events logged on a
     large white board, plans and scenarios pinned on the wall, people
     running around trying to set up and arranging all kinds of things
     which make an airlift/evacuation rolling. In a contest, you can miss a
     QSO or a multiplier, but in this situation you can not miss understand
     or miss relay one message. People's lifes were at stake.

     By 22:00 we had evacuated the 120 people we needed to pick up from
     Uvira, with 3 planes, and two more were being prepared on the air
     strip to fly into Goma the next day.
     I came home at 23:30, and did not dare to switch on my ham radio. The
     CQWW contest would be all over the bands and I would pity myself
     having missed it.

     The sunday, I got up at 5 am, and speeded off to the airport. We did
     not know what was going to happen, as the situation was very confused.
     Were we to get aidworkers out of Goma, north of Bukavu, which shelters
     750,000 refugees? Where we to fly good into Goma? Though we still had
     some staff in Bukavu, and were fully manned in Goma, it was difficult
     to form a global overview on what was happening. The situation seemed
     very volatile. We sent two cars out to Gisenyi and Cyangugu, Rwandese
     towns just over the border of Zaire, to monitor the stream of refugees
     coming into Rwanda. Both teams had HF radios and satellite telephones
     with them. A smaller UNHCR plane flew into Goma, and we used it as a
     'probe' to feel what the situation was at the airport. Not good as
     we found out as some passengers were harressed and denied access to
     the plane. Zairean military planes were overflying Goma airport,
     which, soon after the small UN plane left, was declared 'closed'. No
     way we could get any of our large cargo planes in. Neither to take
     food in, nor to take people out.
     We decided to keep all planes on standby for the rest of the day, 'on
     call' as it was for our crew in Goma. The situation did not
     deteriorate further and in the evening, we closed the station at the
     airport. There was no way we could fly in during the night anyway.

     Once again, it was night when I arrived home, and decided to switch
     on the radio. The CQWW contest was going into its sprint for the
     finish. I spin the dial over the bands, but I was almost falling
     asleep despite all the excitement I heard in the headset.
     I went to bed with mixed feelings. End of October has not been
     my lucky period lately. Last year, I missed the CQWW as, with the
     Heard team, we were in VK6 trying to find a boat for the expedition,
     after an Australian guy run off with our money. This year, I am in
     Africa, trying to help out in a regional conflict.

     In a few minutes, I felt asleep like a rock. Maybe I dreamt of where
     I would be next year for the CQWW? Maybe I dreamt of entering my score
     of a few thousands of QSOs. With not a single multiplier...

     Peter, ON6TT/5X1T
     casierp at wfp.or.ug