CT and TS-850 Voice Keyer

Don Dashney, VE3RM dash at hawk.igs.net
Mon Sep 9 18:01:34 EDT 1996

At 03:31 AM 9/9/96, ve2zp at bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org wrote:

>In 1992 or 1993, NCJ published a brief article on an interface to activate the
>DRU-2 voice keyer in a TS-850 from CT.  The interface connecetd to an LPT port,
>used opto-isolators and resistors, and allowed you to use the F1, F2, F3 and
>ESC keys to control the operation of the DRU-2.  Can anyone out there please
>provide me with a copy of that article?  Let me know if you can help.

>73, Dave VE2ZP/VE9CB
>Packet: VE2ZP at VA3TCP.#EON.ON.CAN.NOAM
>InterNet: ve2zp at va3tcp.ampr.org

Dave the article is in the Jan/Feb 1994 issue of NCJ, page 28.  if
you can't locate a copy let me know and will send a photo-copy.  The
design is by KU4J - it appears in the 'Contest Connection' column
by WB2EEK.  I don't think I could stuff 4 opto-couplers and 7
resistors in a db-25 shell, but that's what he did!

The diagram shows only 3 Function keys being used.  He also shows a
CW keying circuit in the same diagram - there may not have been
enough room for that and four other couplers in the DB25 shell!

The info on which pin is activated by which function key is shown
on the schematic and in the text - but they are not the same!
I think i would like to build this on a small board first to enable a
bit of experimentation before trying to get it all into a DB25.

vy 73,
Don

Don Dashney, VE3RM           dash at hawk.igs.net
2849 Allen Road, RR 1        ve3rm at ve2fkb.#mtl.pq.ca.noam
L'Orignal, ON                Tel. 613-675-4715
Canada K0B 1K0