Cable Attenuation Question

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Sun Sep 15 15:25:16 EDT 1996

>loss with the formula  dB = 10(log PO/PI).  Record this value as a reference
>so that some day when the cable is down and about to go up again you can see
>if the cable is still as good as when you bought it.  (allow .1 dB for the
>connectors at each end or .2 dB total).

Hi,

I keep seeing this thing about connector loss everywhere I look. It's become
accepted as fact in our community, but it's folklore. Here's an example
why....

With .1 dB loss per connector, power loss in a PL-259 SO-239 combo would be
about 35 watts at 1500 watts. Loss is concentrated in the center pin and
dielectric of the SO-239 section, in an area less than one half inch long.
The PL-259 section has almost no loss or impedance bump when properly
installed.

35 watts of connector heat (with a 1500 watt transmitter), when concentrated
in the inside of the SO-239, would quickly make the connector so hot it would
be untouchable. In a few minutes melt the solder connection and dielectric.
If you doubt this, turn on a 35 watt lamp for a few minutes and touch the
glass. Now imagine how hot the galss woud be if it was all within a quarter
inch of the filament.

At 30 MHz, the loss of a 239-259 combo is totally unimportant. One foot of
9913 cable has much more loss.

73 Tom