Wire 4-square summary - Radial length

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Tue Sep 24 16:11:23 EDT 1996

>based the work on Moxon.

Was that really spelled with an X?

>That's interesting.  Everyone I know using 1/4 wave elevated radials is
>doing so with a great amount of success.

Every year it gets worse and worse, it seems like it gets worse by the cube
of time passage.

Brown, Lewis and Epstein spent thousands of hours studying radials and
counterpoises and making field strength measurements on real systems. Their
data is well documented, and it shows  60 1/4 wl radials with NO ground
screen is within a dB of what theory predicts as perfect. 113 radials .437 wl
long (what they measured as 1/2 wl with the wire laid on the ground) is
within a fraction of a dB of perfect.

Then a Ham comes along, never makes ONE FS measurement, and claims insulating
a radial system improves things.

A few years later, we are told only four or six wires works. Again without
direct field strength measurements.

A few months ago, ther was an article claiming ONE radial would deliver 100%
efficiency.

A few weeks ago, I read where a 1/10 wl long fractal radial system would beat
a 1/4 wl radial solid copper disk.

Today I think I just read where a loading coil is about all we need, but
maybe m eyes are playing tricks on me.

All of this of course without a single FS measurement in a direct comparison.

Faraday and Maxwell must be rolling over in their graves when they look out
at today's "scientists and scholars". We know everything without any need to
measure anything.

73 Tom