Balun Burnups

K8DO at aol.com K8DO at aol.com
Thu Sep 26 18:31:31 EDT 1996

In reference to bead baluns....
The ring (bead) of ferrite material chokes the current flowing down the
outside of the  coax by acting like a shorted turn with high internal
resistance...  (for the nit picky physicists out there, I know that this
isn't the _exact_ mechanism, but it is close enough and is understandable)...
 the rings closest to the antenna terminals are exposed to the largest flux
field and have the largest circulating current inside of them, and are the
ones most likely to overheat and fail... the rings further down the choke
section are partially protected by the closer rings hogging the flux field
and are less likely to overheat...
For the usual HF bands, type 73 has more admittence and thus generates more
internal current/heat for a given flux level than type 43...  a partial
solution would be to installl the first half dozen rings near the antenna
terminals using 43 mix, and the rest using 73 mix... the 43 mix would absorb
part of the flux without serious overheating, and the more "efficient"  73
mix would handle the mopping up of the rest of the external current...

Bead baluns are inefficient and prone to failure... I don't use them after a
couple of failures, and I would advise anyone asking me,  to go to a wound,
toroidal current balun... 43 mix is my choice...

Denny   k8do at aol.com