[CQ-Contest] 1 station, 2 callsigns

David O. Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Thu Dec 11 16:25:01 EST 1997

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:30:26 -0500 Walter Deemer <kn4t at gate.net> writes:

>Reminds me of when, years ago, W3GM (then W3BES) and W3EBG were
>single-station multi-op entries in the SS.  Folks operated 40 out of
>66
>hours in the SS back then (over two weekends), so each station put in
>33
>hours.  When one found a mult, they simply switched calls and worked
>it again.
>
>W3EBG, of course, was W3BES's son --and it was perfectly OK for family
>members to operate in this manner.  Perhaps the Green Hornet should
>adopt
>Dr. Bafoofnik.

Reminds me of the time around 1975 when I operated CW SS under both
WA6WZO and WA6WZN (husband & wife) at their house. It did wonders
for the club score, and the Sunday rates were as good as Saturday.

I guess the ARRL didn't think too much of it though, because the
next year they added rule 6(b): One operator may not use more than
one call sign from any given location during the contest period.

I remember they sent me a letter asking "How could one person
operate 40 hours in a 30 hour contest period?" I told 'em it
was easy, since the clock was sometimes running simultaneously
under both calls. I don't think they ever did understand that. I'm
not sure I do either.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
K6LL at juno.com
Yuma, AZ