CW contest filters

JPalooka at aol.com JPalooka at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 08:55:10 EST 1997

Hi Matt,
I'm not an expert, but I use both a 250 & 500 Hz filter when running. When
the pile
up is big, in goes the 250 Hz and I use my RIT for the three pile ups (-100
Hz, Zero,
and +100 Hz) and it works fine. It helps with the fatigue. When the pile up
drops off,
I then move to the 500 Hz. On ten meters, now, I tune with SSB filter. Though
filter well with my ears, I find the narrower slot works better and I can
only work about
three at a time, so hearing more, for me anyway, is distracting. As a matter
of fact,
it's hard to work more than one at a time, because so many use QSK and get
confused when I start working another under them. But, that is another
subject.
Personally, I would go with the 250 Hz and add the 500 Hz later if he can
have two
CW filters.

In a message dated 97-02-03 12:14:41 EST, aa7bg at 3rivers.net (K7BG Matt Trott)
writes:

> Subj:	CW contest filters

>  There may have been some discussion on this topic a year or so ago, but I
>  can't remember the verdict if there was.--A young budding contestor friend
>  of mine is planning on getting a cw filter for his FT900. In a ragchew
last
>  night he said since the 250hz is only $10 more than the 500hz he is
planning
>  on getting the 250hz.  I advised him that that may be too narrow for
working
>  contests, especially in the "run" mode. He doesn't run power or big
antennas
>  and he advised me he does a lot more S&Ping than running. Well, he may
have
>  a point there.
>
>  I run 500hz and we were wondering what advice the experts could offer
before
>  he spends his donero?  What would you advise him? He is AB7QE BTW (17 yrs
> old).

73, K8Joe"Palooka"