Sprint survey

Lee Hiers, AA4GA aa4ga at contesting.com
Mon Feb 10 04:38:52 EST 1997

On  9 Feb 97, Danny Eskenazi wrote:

> How many of the over 250Q scorers use computer for all functions of logging
> and sending?

I do! I do!  Of course, my scores aren't good ones to go by!

> How many use the computer for logging, and send with paddle?

I use the paddle mostly for fills or when I screw up the logging and
want to over-ride the computer.  If I was better-versed in using the
computer and/or typed better, I could do without the paddle.

FWIW, KB4GID can't even use a paddle.  He's always used a straight
key and has a stubborn bias against paddles.  I even gave him a keyer
once and he never used it.  Anyway, he just uses the keyboard sending
feature available in most loggers for his fills or whatever.

> .....feel like im consistently dropping behind the pack, and want to know
> what Im missing.  Still doing it with one radio, paddle, and pencil.

Mighty retro OT!  I do think a lot of guys still log the Sprints by hand
though.

> and push this button.....oops forgot to send my call.."  Maybe the new
> programs in TR etc do all this automatically....  "Thinking" sure screws up

TR is what I use, and it is more or less automatic when swapping
between being the callee and the caller.  It also has a paddle input
that stops the memory sending...the other programs (at least the
versions I've used) just use a parallel keyer into the radio, and if
you try to send with the paddle without stopping the computer, you
get this lovely gibberish that sounds kinda like RF in the keying
line!

Also, with the computer loggers you get an automatic dupesheet
function....I can't imagine keeping a manual dupesheet in Sprints.

So, Danny, come join us in the 90s!   ;)

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers - AA4GA
Contest Preservation Society - NT4DX