PED new version?

lu6beg at canopus.com.ar lu6beg at canopus.com.ar
Sat Jan 18 01:33:26 EST 1997

Someone writed here about the web site where can find PED new version,
but lost the e-mail? Anybody remembers it?

From: bhorn at netcom.com (Bruce Horn) (Bruce Horn)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 22:19:01 -0800
Subject: 100W vs. 150W

I've spent almost all of my time in contests in the low power category. The
only exceptions have been the occasional QRP effort. Although my antennas
were put up with DX contests in mind, I try to operate a fair amount in
both DX and domestic contests.

On the issue of whether the low power limit should be 100W instead of the
150W allowed in the NAQP and ARRL-sponsored contests, there are only two
possibilities:

1) The 1.76 dB difference in power has no significant effect on one's score.
   If this is the case, then why bother to lower the power limit? Afterall,
   there's a certain "symmetry" to having the low power limit 10 dB below the
   high power limit. Most modern commercial transceivers have power outputs
   ranging from 100W to 200W -- thus 150W seems like a reasonable middle
   ground.

2) The 1.76 dB power difference does have an effect on one's score.
   If this is the case, then I'd prefer to have the "extra" power available
   to me during a contest. Operating low power is already enough of a
   challenge. In SSB DX contests, I always have a number QSOs that seem
   to be completed only by me screaming into the microphone to try to get
   the guy on the other side of the world to hear me.

It seems to me that some have embraced the idea of lowering the low power
limit to 100W because they believe they are at disadvantage using a 100W
transceiver in a contest where 150W is allowed. I think this is more
psychological than real. Maybe it's because power is the one station
performance parameter that is easily and accurately measured. However, the
1.76 dB difference between 100W and 150W is probably the least variable
aspect of your station's performance compared with other contesters.

How long are your coaxial cable runs? Do you use RG8/U? RG213? 9913?
Hardline? On 10-meters the differences in coaxial cable attenuation could
easily be greater than the power 100 vs 150 difference.

What kind of antenna do you use? Dipole? Tribander? Monobanders? Stacked
monobanders? The other contesters against which you're competing in the
NAQPs and the low power categories of other contests are using everything
from dipoles to stacked monobanders. This performance variability is
enormous as compared with the 100 vs. 150 difference. Just the difference
in performance between tribanders from difference manufacturers, or
different model tribanders from the same manufacturer, is greater than 1.76
dB.

What kind of antenna site do you have? Flat for miles? In a hole? Nearby
hill partially blocking you in one direction? On top of a hill? Near
saltwater? Surrounded by seawater? As in real estate, location is
everything in ham radio. Again the performance differences among these
sites far outweigh the difference between 100 and 150 watts.

Where are you located in North America? Florida? New Hampshire? Southern
California? Washington? Wisconsin? Texas? VE8? PJ8? As has been discussed
ad infinitem, the propagation differences among these locations is
enormous.

The bottom line is: the power difference is the least of our worries. Leave
the low power limit at 150W.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn at netcom.com)