[CQ-Contest] Anyone ever set up near a Cell Phone Tower?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 11:09:37 EST 1997

In a message dated 97-03-13 10:05:10 EST, readerl at goliath.sunyocc.edu (Larry
Reader) writes:

> Cellular One has just approached Lorrin, the owner of the Windwood Contest
>  station, WP2Z, about putting up a repeater about 60 ft from the main tower
>  at the station.  According to the engineer in PR I just spoke to it will
be
>  a 100 w 800 mhz unit on a 50 ft pole with omni antenna on top.
>
>  Lorrin will not allow this instalation if it will interfere in any way
with
>  WP2Z but if it won't, he'd love the monthly rental.  He asked for my
advice.

>  All the trained parts of my brain say with that freq separation and power
>  and given the mode differences there shouldn't be an interference problem
>  but I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experience with this type of
>  situation.

    Go for it!!!  I've got a 300 watt continuous duty paging system on my
tower.  It's in the same 800 mHz. range.  It's about 6 feet from my bottom
monobander and I haven't noticed anything.  The thing would have to have
unbelievable sub-harmonics to cause any problems.  Having it on another tower
60 feet away should produce even more negligible interference.

    The paging company pays $250 per month rent.  I'm also getting a
free-standing monopole PCS site here in about 9 months.  They pay even more.
 The explosion in RF services is incredible.  If you've got a nice big tower
and are interested in having commercial tenants, let me know.  What a hobby!

73,  Steve   K7LXC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com