[CQ-Contest] WPX Contest

Roy S Maull n8yys at juno.com
Sun Mar 23 17:54:40 EST 1997

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:23:32 -0400 "Jimmy R. Floyd"
<floydjr at interpath.com> writes:

>Let me first say that I agree with N4KG 100%. NO Contest should have
>zero
>points for a contact. Everyone should be worth something even if it is
>only
>one point. If you want to make it better to work someone then make
>them 2
>points or even 5 points. Some contests give more points for contacts
>on 40,
>75, and 160 which I think is good also. The bottom line on the WPX
>contest
>is that the goal is to work a PREFIX, not a state, grid square, county
>or
>country. Multipliers is what we shoot for to boast our scores and in
>this
>contest a WA4 counts the same thing as P5, except if you live in the
>WA4
>land or P5 land.
------  < SNIP>  ------

  For all the "little pistol" and "water pistol" stations, changing the
rules would allow us to at least build some kind of score.  It will never
be what the "big guns" shoot down, but we would at least get to feel like
we are in the contest.  It is really frustrating to read the scores of
those stations with the big antennas that can hear all the DX stations
and accumulate the mults, when all you get are the locals that don't do
anything for your score.

>I suggested on here about 6 months ago and sent letters to the ARRL
>and CQ
>also of what I thought needed to be done. Instead of all the forums
>where
>guys get up and talk about what they have done, which I think is good,
>we
>need to have a contest rule forum. Have Arrl and CQ on the stage and
>lets
>talk rules and regs. Here all these interpations that everyone is
>making
>from the horse's mouth. I never heard a thing back from either one.

>The rules were written a
>LONG time ago and a lot has changed. People are going to bend rules no
>matter what they are but I believe that new rules would cut some of
>the
>bending down.

  If you can raise your score with out bending the rules, then you don't
feel that you have to bend the rules.
  As far as negating the records, new records are set almost every
contest as stations improve on the older methods of logging and rig
control, etc..  If we are going to attract new hams to the ranks of
contesting (and HF to boot), we need to make them feel that there is
something to shoot for.  No one likes to think that the only way to be
competitive is to spend BIG BUCKS to create a super station.  The
addition of the category for tri-bander and wire antennas was a good step
in the right direction to include the new contester in a some what level
field of play.  Let's see if we can't continue to work towards making
everyone feel they have a chance to play!

  These are just the opinions of another of them annoying "water pistol"
stations that will someday hit the lottery, and then you better watch
out!! HI.

  Look to see as many as I can hear in the pileups, and at Dayton.

    73.. Roy  N8YYS  .. West Virginia

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com