[CQ-Contest] Re: Optimum Keyer Speed for WPX

Jan-Erik Holm JEH at on.mobile.telia.se
Mon May 26 16:05:15 EDT 1997

> I agree that many operators seem not to be able to copy at the speed they are
> sending.  I usually do my S&P activity at 32 WPM just to limit the number of
> repeats.  Of course it sometimes depends on how loud you are at the other end
> and how much QRM there is.
>
> I hate these cut numbers.  I never know if the guy sent 'T' for zero, or did
> miss a dot of 'N' for nine?  I would just as soon have everyone send 5NN and
> then send the full numbers.  But I see this as a trend that will keep getting
> worse before it gets better.  It seems to be all the rage in Europe.
>
> Randy, K5ZD

It is very popular in the states to skip the zeros in the exchange and it sure
gets confusing.

If someone sends me in WPX CW 5995 instead of 599005 how do I know if
he means QSO nr or sends the zone by misstake. In CQ WW phone there
is more and more people geting very cute skipping the zero if they are in
zones 1 to 9, if I have to send 14 why cant those fellows use 09 forexample.
In the CQ WW phone case I guess it doesnt add any confusion but in the
WPX case it sure does.

In this years WPX CW test I refused to work people not giving a correct
exchange and I will do so in the future. By the way I will not work any station
that doesnt give a correct call sign either and I wish more people would
follow this example, this two-letter stuff is slowely but surely killing ham
radio.

Jim SM2EKM

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com