[CQ-Contest] RE: What is a proper prefix in WPX

John R. Moore w4ue at pobox.com
Tue May 27 12:50:38 EDT 1997

Attention All you self appointed regulators armed with Flame Throwers

Apparently some out there think I am trying to win a contest by bending
the rules or even breaking the rules.  Nothing was further from my mind
than that.  I used the Call NZ4/W4UE to have a good time in the contest
and to give out a unique prefix.  I only operated about 12-15 hours so
that is going to win the contest in the SOHP class, I don't think so.

What should be done is you should keep up with the latest rules changes.

IE: FCC Report and Order 97099
Quoted in part here
 97.119 Station identification.

     *****

     (c)  One or more indicators may be included with the call sign.  Each
indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by
any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is
self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after,
the callsign.  No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other
indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another
country.

Also in CQ's WPX Rules.
VII. Multiplier
 (b) Special event, commemorative, and other unique
                                                                     prefix
stations are encouraged to participate.

I beleive that subparagraph (b)  covers my operation, I may be proven wrong
but in reading the rules over and over I cannot find any prohibition of my
operation.

Also my interpetation of the FCC Report and order was verified with both
the FCC and the ARRL FCC Rules Section prior to my operation with NZ4/.

So again I beleive I operated well within the rules of the contest otherwise
I would not have been on signing the call NZ4/W4UE.

I hope everyone had a much fun in the contest as I did.

Good DX to all

John W4UE

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com