[CQ-Contest] QSL'ing

Sante IK0HBN ik0hbn at isa.it
Sat Nov 8 01:27:21 EST 1997

Hi Ken, let me make some points more clear:

I never thought life has reduced in receiving qsl cards, but I think the
same about contesting.

You talked about the friendship could be arise among contest contacts: I do
believe this, but I less figure how one could be a friend for another Ham
if he gives up the possible need of such cards for his "possible" friend.
I mean friendship is first an each-other respect: one is free to leave
cards not answered, but the same respect must leave the chance to the
others of not wishing heartily to contact you.
Surely a qsl card does not substitute a friendship, but some habits surely
show the respect of others.
I make contest seriously since 5 years ago and I have noted some things
quite difficult to undertstand and explain. I don't know why, but the same
hams who do not answered qsl cards are the same that occupate a frequency
not taking care at all if the same hosts another station. The basic rule
seems to be" I am louder, so I'll force you leaving this frequency". It
seems more a lack of education that invests several aspect of our hobby.
Amateur radio cuts, as a knife in the butter, multiple behaviours: the
world is fine because different. If everybody were the same....think how
boring would be living...

Ken, and you talk abt friendship? I know people that would kill their
mothers for a tenth of DB more in their Yagi-stacks....hi
All that is a pure coincidence? We live in a world where being competitive
is a must, but everything has a limit. If one has not found enough time in
7 years to answer to just one of my 51 qsl cards sent, please leave me the
little right of denying my point for what it could worth. May be in future
some people will understand that public relation and courtesy could
increase the ERP for winning a contest. And mainly let me giving the
pleasure of never-ended pile-up to whom take seriously ALL the aspect of
our hobby, qsl cards included. At my radio beginning somebody told me that
QSL IS THE FINAL COURTESY OF A QSO, has that statement changed in last years?
At the end IK0 is a prefix quite common, also during WPX, so surely they
will have the chance of working others instead of me. This, specially for
respect towards the several FRED's spread in all the world.

I really hope to leave on this world something more than a few hundreds of
thousand qso's....it would be a poor thing to be remembered for so few...hi

By the way, don't worry: I carefully checked my logs and I found just one
qso with you made by my guest OP during last CQWW SSB. Your card and the
others 1717 are already in the hands of our club secretary, ready to be
shipped to our national main club. This evening I had driven for 210 KM.
for bringing them in his hands.
Should I consider myself a "Mutant" for that?
Ken, nothing of personal, and specially no intention of offending somebody.
Everybody are free of doing what they like more, but this is valid really
for everybody. My 0.001 cent worth
Ciao Sante
At 10.04 07/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Fred,
>   Congratulations on the QSL efficiency. Unfortunately some of us
>have a few minor problem that keeps us from being as efficient as you
>are:
>1- 	If I asked my wife to help out with the QSL chores she would laugh
>in my face and we probably wouldn't have sex for another 6 months.
>2- 	At age 36 I still find myself having to work 40 hour plus work
>weeks. This leaves very little time for other activities. (Getting on
>the air comes to mind)
>Retirement is great isn't it!
>3-My 5 year old son takes up a great amount of my free time. Until he
>learns how to write and until I can convince him that the QSLs I
>slipped into his
>homework pile are actually homework tasks I will continue to fall
>behind in my QSL chores.
>4- 	Until I hit the lottery jackpot I won't be able to afford a
>secretary to store and file all my QSL cards the way I would like them
>to be stored.
>5- 	I don't really enjoy filling out QSL cards. I only do so because I
>feel obligated. I have never NOT replied to someone's QSL card. QSLing
>just happens to fall at the bottom of my list of things to do.
>     I still find it hard to believe that some stations will black
>list certain contest stations because they don't qsl. If they thought
>about the BIG picture of life they might just figure out that there is
>more to it than receiving a QSL card from yet another USA station. For
>those of you  who believe that a piece of paper is worth more than
>on-the-air friendships ponder this. When you die, all of your QSL
>cards will be thrown away in the trash. Nobody will care if you had a
>card for the Andaman Islands or not. It will be laying right next to
>the rotting banana peel and old newspapers at the landfill. Your
>on-the-air contact memories will go with you to the grave.
>         73 Ken N4UK

                                  \\||//
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY:         (.)(.)
Sante Lillo, IK0HBN                   | Home  telephone: +39-761-407543
Localita' Saineta, 3                  | Fax on request : as above
01030 Bassano in Teverina (VT) Italy  | Cell. telephone: +39-338-6825052
E-Mail: ik0hbn at isa.it                 | packet: IK0HBN at I0INU.IUMB.ITA.EU
Home Page: <http://www.qsl.net/ik0hbn>| DX cluster : IK0HBN > I0JBL-6

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com