[CQ-Contest] VK/ZL IN CQ CW TEST

James B. Neiger jneiger at xti.com
Wed Nov 12 08:35:15 EST 1997

               ATTENTION ALL VK/ZL CONTESTERS/DXERS

may I offer the following:

1.  As you are all too aware, ZD8 and other Zone 36 countries is the MOST
DIFFICULT area of the world for you to work.  This is due primarily to the
imposition of the Antarctic region between us on the short path, and
effects predominantly Eastern Australia and New Zealand.  Western
Australia to ZD8 communications is easily accomplished via the Short Path.
However, with the exception of occasional Short Path success to ZL on 80
and 40, virtually all QSO's with ZL and Eastern VK from ZD8 is via Long
Path.
I am not aware of there ever having been ZL/VK-ZD8 QSO on Top Band but
perhaps someone was once lucky.

2.  In an effort to satisfy the need for VK/ZL to work ZD8, I will make a
special effort in the upcoming CW contest, and will be listening in your
direction, both SP and LP at my sunrise (say 0630-0730Z) on November 29
and 30.  Frequencies will be 1830, 3530, and 7030.  I will also try 1830
around my sunset (1845-1900Z).

I cannot promise much activity from ZD8 after this year so this may
represent a vanishing opportunity to work the island, especially on the
long path.  Any successes here should find your QSL via VE3HO.

              Vy 73

                 Jim Neiger    N6TJ/ZD8Z

                 jneiger at xti.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com