[CQ-Contest] Equalization/Rule Changes

Jeff Steinman n5tj at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:15:31 EDT 1998

Sure, the East Coast has the advantage in the DX contests. The W5s have
the advantage in the Domestic contests. And the West Coast has the
advantage in any contest that focuses on Asia, like the AA. What's the
problem ???

I admit to changing which contest I enter depending on the point of the
solar cycle. Knock myself out to do a 48 hour DX contest from Texas the
last few years? No way, not my idea of fun. Hit the NAQP and SS hard?
You bet. I'm eyeing that rising SF number and it's NOT because I'm
thinking about what the SS will be like with 10M open. No, I'm trying to
figure out how I can improve my station to do better in the DX contests,
low power, and take advantage of those improved high band conditions.

Yup, the East Coast guys will be able to run EU when I can't. But I'll
be able to work some stuff they can't. Complain about it and get the
rules changed to "level" the playing field ? Naw, I'll spend my energy
trying to make the most out of what I have - which includes using two
radios. And IF I beat the East Coast it will be because I earned it.

You didn't see K3LR complain about the East Coast (yea, he's a 3 - but
almost an 8) doing all those M/Ms, coming in second, third, etc. No, Tim
kept up his attack, honing his station and crew. And their efforts paid
off last month in the ARRL DX SSB - K3LR is the #1 claimed M/M. They are
#1 because Tim and his team didn't give up - they worked harder. They
earned the #1 slot.

For me it's about having fun and doing my best - "winning" is the icing
on the cake. I admit it wasn't always like that, but my views on what's
important have changed over time - including contesting. A few years
ago, prior to a major contest event, a former contest Elmer interpreted
this as a loss of "fire". I took it rather personally, as an assault on
me as a person. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way, but coming from your
Elmer? He was right, though - I now rely more on experience than
emotion. But in the end he ate crow as experience, which he helped
harness, proved itself. Well, experience and one hell of a partner.

Contest sponsors are [genrally] slow to change rules.  I can only guess
at the reasons. But the good of the "many" versus the good of the "few"
is up there somewhere. As it should be.

Lew's original post on changing the WPX S/O rules BACK TO 30 hours was
well thought out. WPX is a unique contest, basically one of hitting "F1"
as opposed to one of trying to balance "F1" and S&P. What you have to
balance (as a S/O) is the off times to maximize your score.
Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the WPX is a "better"
contest now than before. How do you measure "better", anyway? Logs
received? Final score? These are all tied to propagation, in one way or
another.

I can recall a few rule changes that were failures (the year the ARRL DX
tried to imitate the CQWW) and some that have been successful (how many
years did K1AR enter the DX contests as M/M when he was really
S/O Assisted, before that category EXISTED).

These changes were high profile as well. I guess the difference is that
they are perceived as being done more or less "by committee" with
pro/con input prior to the decision. I think Lew and others are trying
to understand the same with regard to the WPX S/O hours change.

You know, I like the IARU contest A LOT. It's too bad there is no LOW
POWER category. Maybe all the low power guys should operate anyway, just
for fun, and compare scores on the 3830 reflector or get them listed in
the NCJ. And just maybe the governing body behind the IARU contest will
realize that low power entrants make up a significant percentage of the
logs received, deciding to add a low power category next year.

Back to net.

Jeff, N5TJ