[CQ-Contest] Visual Impact of Twr [Summary -Long]

Fred Hopengarten k1vr at juno.com
Wed Apr 8 17:53:09 EDT 1998

From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten at mba1972.hbs.edu
                                  SUMMARY

From: k1vr at juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997
Subject: [TowerTalk] Visible Material

A Question of Measurement

     In the March 1997 issue of QST, I wrote a column entitled:  "Talking
to the Town."  I solicit contributions from this reflector, however, on
how
to present the issue of size to a town body.

     Rohn 25 is an antenna support structure 12 inches in face
width.  Rohn 45 is 18 inches in face width.  Yet each is built with
a lattice structure.  As a Volunteer Counsel, I think I'd like to
make those measurements seem even smaller, if the right phrasing can
be created.  Lattice towers have a lot of open air, so I'm thinking
it ought to be possible to craft sentences such as:

While carrying a 12 inch face, for each square foot of structure,
only ____ square inches of that square foot is steel.  The rest is
clear air.

OR

For each square foot of this structure's face, only ___ % is solid
surface, dramatically reducing visibility.

I would welcome your suggestions, calculations, or measurements, for
Rohn and other towers..

Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  fhopengarten at mba1972.hbs.edu
From: Chad Kurszewski  WE9V <kurscj at oampc12.csg.mot.com>

>From memory and may not be 100% correct:

Rohn 25 legs            = 1.25" dia
Rohn 25 crossbraces     = 5/16" dia

Considering 3 legs, and 3 crossbraces for a cross-section (not 100%
correct), the area is 4.6875 square inches.

And, if viewed from the correct angle, one leg and one brace is hidden,
for only a 3.125" obstruction!

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski at csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com