[CQ-Contest] The Great WPX Debate

rattmann rattmann at cts.com
Wed Apr 15 17:52:04 EDT 1998

Bill, W4AN wrote:
>Take a good look at the WPX results and count how many serious efforts
>there are from the west and midwest.  You'll only need one hand for counting.

He gets it.

In 1974, or thereabouts, W6MAR put in a full serious effort in the phone
WPX, all bands.  with a decent station and antennas (and even a tape loop!).
When it was over, I found out that W2PV, Jim himself, beat my multiplier and
numerical score with just his single-band 20m entry.  There were no sunspots
and not many JA's.  And this was before the European ham explosion, which
started cranking in the early 80's.

My preference lately has been to get on and work 150 or so USA-only stations
and send in my log showing a score of zero even though my multiplier might
be 100 or so.  Talk about a dopey scoring system....

73, K6NA

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com