[CQ-Contest] Re: DX & Contesting Forums Outrage

n6jm at pacbell.net n6jm at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 19 16:39:15 EDT 1998

Mike W8DN says in part:

> > Here is the reply I received to my (less than polite) email to the
> > Hamvention Chairman. My impression is that this is the way they
> > intend to do it from here on out.......

> > Mike / W8DN

and Bob W2CE replies in part with:

> After my last comments on the subject I was told by a well informed
> person that,  yes, this is to be the permanent locations for the DX
> and Contest Forums.

to create questions for many in the future....

> ...Visalia, New Orleans, etc seem to take on more importance for DXers
> now.
> Maybe the Dayton Hamvention will be history before it becomes the year
> 2000 ARRL National Convention. It might not be a bad idea to start now
> demanding the ARRL hold the DX and Contest Forums on-site or find
> another location.

>        73, Bob, W2CE

I think they are trying to tell us they are not interested in contesters
or DXers. Just run through the display area and notice how much non
Amateur Radio suppliers are exhibitors. Exactly, what does games and
other unrealated software programs do for us.

The few Hamventions I have attended (with WORLDRADIO) have always been
enjoyable. Some of the sessions I covered were rather stupid. But to
move the elite groups out of site is something else.

Let's mention Visalia/Fresno. When I began with that one probably about
25 years ago it was at Fresno in January. They they changed it to April.
A reason given so it would be back-to-back with Dayton for overseas
DXers. In other words, they wouldn't have to make two trips. Now
Visalia (or Fresno depending on which club is running it) is in May.
Why? Most likely Dayton again. Personally, I would like to see this one
back in January. Another thing that gets me about Hamvention is they
kiss up and make mention of that Lambda group!

73,

John Minke  N6JM
DX Editor WORLDRADIO

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com