[CQ-Contest] Re: DX & Contesting Forums Outrage

Tom Anderson ww5l at gte.net
Mon Apr 20 08:56:01 EDT 1998

Mike, Bob, et.al.

A similar thing happened to us a couple years ago at Ham-Com in Arlington,
Texas in June.  It seems the convention management got tired of DXers, even
though we had as many as 400 attend the DX luncheon and forums that
followed.  They now devote more time and space to VHF, UHF, microwave, etc.
The convention management wanted a local DX club, to pick up all the costs
of the DX programs instead of them, even though you had to buy a ticket to
the DX luncheon and Ham-Com through the convention and the DX programs had
the largest attendance of any program.  They wanted the club to pick up all
the transportation costs of speakers, etc, even though the convention had
done it for more than 10 years. In 1997 Bob, KK6EK of the VK0IR dxpedition
paid his OWN way to be the speaker. Now we have a "box" lunch and the
convention people give let us use a meeting room in the convention center
rather than a large ballroom in the hotel right next to the convention
center.

Tom Anderson, WW5L
Bedford TX

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com