[CQ-Contest] Dayton DX, contest forums

Eric Scace scace at uu.net
Mon Apr 20 10:20:22 EDT 1998

   I got exactly the same note back from the Hamvention people in response
to my e-mail.

   Grumbling on the reflector is unlikely to result in a change.  Do we
REALLY want a change?

   Personally, I'm ready to try something different outside of Dayton, and
forget about Dayton.  It doesn't seem to make much sense to fly to Dayton
on their most congested weekend, pay top dollar for hotel space and
restaurants, just so we can have the fora in the hotels or convention
center.  How about a different location altogether?

   But, to make a different location become the "main event for DX and
contesters in the eastern USA" will take a concerted effort from our
community to make a clean break from the past:

... fora chairmen, presenters, DX/Contest hospitality suite organizers, the
DX dinner organizers, and the contest dinner organzers will all have to
agree on WHEN and WHERE to have the 1999 "bash".  Some possible criteria:
   -- in the late winter/early spring: we like to chat about the recent
contest season, when it is fresh in our minds.
   -- just prior to/after Visalia, so non-US contesters/DXers can attend
both on occasion.
   -- within a day's drive for a large percentage of the eastern North
America DX/contest population.
   -- airport with a minimum of connections required nearby, for those
willing to fly.
   -- room for the key manufacturers, hopefully a flea market, and
fora/hospitality.
   -- ideally, enough hotel space within walking distance of the event site
& a reasonable number of restaurants.

... key manufacturers will need to be lobbied to attend.

... and, the rest of us in the community will have to SUPPORT it by
ATTENDING (at least the first year) to give it momentum for growth.

   I think all the key leaders (DX forum, antenna forum, Contest forum,
major DX and contest hospitality suites, dinner organizers) are all here on
e-mail.  Are the leaders willing to try something that is NOT Dayton in
1999?

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com