[CQ-Contest] Dayton DX, contest forums

Barry Kutner w2up at itw.com
Mon Apr 20 11:28:04 EDT 1998

I believe it would be a mistake to try to break from Dayton, despite
the recently imposed inconveniences.

Remember, amateur radio has not flourished over the last
decade. Advertisers are spending less. Rumors are floating around
that Kenwood may be pulling out of the ham market. Etc. Etc.
Maybe it's sunspot related, maybe computer/hobbyist related. Time will
tell.

Like it or not, the part of the ham market which is thriving and
growing is the shack-on-the-belt crowd.  If DXers/contesters tried to
split from Dayton, do you think we'd be able to take the flea market
and/or vendors with us? I doubt it. If not, are we willing to give up
that aspect of the show and just have a program consisting of the
DX/contesting forums, dinners, Crowne Plaza hospitality suites, etc?

73 Barry (skipping Dayton this year)
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up at itw.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com