[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Levels

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro at k4ro.net
Wed Aug 5 15:27:55 EDT 1998

It's interetsing that the same topics re-surface year
after year, whether it's CQWW dates, point scoring, or
NAQP power levels.

I brought this topic up on CQ-Contest a few years ago, after
a prominent top-tenner mentioned how his Titan made a big
difference between his Omni's 75W nominal output and the 150W
limit stated in the rules.

In short, I was told by others (NOT the OP who 'confessed')
that I should mind my own business, and that 150W is 150W,
amplifier or not.

I still feel that NAQP is an exciter only contest, and I choose
to never use an amplifier in any low power entry, whether it's
NAQP or any other contest.  I also wonder about how easy it is
to keep a pair of 3CX-800A's (or other legal limit+ amp) below
150W output maximum.  Must be talking LOW drive levels here...

Maybe now that a Real Big Gun has proposed the idea, the
response attitude will be different.  I don't still don't
think amps belong in the NAQP, and I support W4AN's suggestion.

-Kirk  K4RO

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com