[CQ-Contest] re Europe

Steve Jones steve at rjtrain.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 00:53:12 EDT 1998

Hi Declan and all,

In message <2.2.32.19980812171741.006b7248 at gpo.iol.ie>, Declan - WestNet
DX Group <westnet at iol.ie> writes

>Regarding Bill W4AN's question on the lack of activity in the WAE contest,
>well I can only speak for myself but I've had this discussion with several
>EI and GI contesters who are regularly on in the CQWW,CQWPX and ARRL contests.
>The general feeling seemed to be that the QTC feature was a total pain in the
>butt and they would rather go golfing or fishing.
>I'm sure there are lots who will argue its a useful feature,but it seems the
>workers are voting with their feet.

Can't agree with you on this one Declan. Whilst I admit that it took a
couple of wae ssb contests to get the hang of the qtc, I really like
this contest. You can opt not to ask/recieve qtcs, but I think the
traffic feature and work dx outside europe only make it a more
interesting contest. I managed to double my score on my second attempt
at this contest last year, due mainly to increased qtcs. It tests the
contesters skill in combatting qrm qsb etc when having to copy qtcs
rather than 59 14 etc. CQWW and WPX are fun too in their own way, but
frankly I get bored with working arrl test from europe. I hope to try
wae ssb for a third time this September and I welcome QTCs (more qtcs =
more points ;-))

The other thing I like about WAE SSB is that you can email the logs, you
get a certificate before the following years test, and they also mail
you a nice results booklet with this years rules in.

I say congrats to the organisers for a well run contest, but don't ask
me to try wae cw ;-)

73 Steve
--
Steve Jones