[CQ-Contest] QSO B4... NO YOU DIDN'T!

Harper, David DavidHarper at tx.slr.com
Thu Dec 10 11:27:34 EST 1998

> I worked most of them but after a while you start to wonder. Why are there
> so
> many. Have they bust my call, computer crash, no dupe sheet, we didn't
> really
> have the first QSO. It would be interesting if there was some way of
> working
> this out.

I think most of these have been mentioned in the past, but maybe not all in
one place?  Here are the reasons I can think of for a dupe calling you:

1. He busted your call the first time he worked you.
2. He has your call busted this time.
3. He logged you on the wrong band the first time he worked you.
4. He has his computer logger set for the wrong band this time.
5. You had your computer on the wrong band the first time he worked
you.(#3,4,5 are largely avoided by rig interfaced to logging computer).
Also, I know that I have seen computers go crazy and log on the wrong band
when RF gets into them.
6. You busted his call this time, turning it into a call you had already
worked.
7. You busted someone elses call previously, turning it into the call of the
guy calling you now.
8. He was working someone else near or on your frequency the first time and
you logged him.
9. He called you in a pileup the first time, you answered him but he didn't
hear you, and someone else that thought you answered them gave you a report.
10. He called you in a pileup or weak signal situation the first time, and
isn't sure of the QSO and wants an insurance contact.
11. He forgot to do a dupe check before calling you.  People get excited
when they think they've found a new mult.
12. Sorta like #11, he is a casual participant, not using a computer, and
didn't notice you were a dupe.
13. As stated in the message above, he might have had a computer crash and
lost some data.
14. You don't sign your call often enough and he got tired of waiting.
15. He's just a lid and doesn't really care.  Hopefully not too many of
these.
16. He is a buddy of your competition and is trying to waste your time?
Okay, I'm really reaching now!

That's all I can think of off-hand.  Any more?

73,
Dave WD5N   /   WP2AHW '95  /   VP5EA '96-'97   /   WP2Z '98

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com