FW: [CQ-Contest] ZW5B (op K5ZD) CQWW CW 28 MHz Story (longer than long)

Randy Thompson k5zd at ma.ultranet.com
Fri Dec 11 02:51:21 EST 1998

I hope Fred, K3ZO, doesn't mind me forwarding this to the reflector.  It
provides some insight into why South America is such a great place for 10m
propagation.

It also reminded me of something else I wanted to mention in the write-up.
All night, when the band was really open to zone 24 and 26, I felt like I
was operating a CW contest in the middle of the phone bands!  SSB, AM, and
FM signals were everywhere.

Didn't really cost me any QSOs, but there were a few times I had to move my
run frequency a kHz or so to get away from a heterodyne.  I suspect we are
going to discover new levels of encroachment this sunspot cycle - even
greater than we could have imagined.

Randy, K5ZD